Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
japans mitsubishi heavy industry.ltd and nippon steel corp.have jointly developed a tecnology to use higher tensile strengh steel with yield stress of 47kgf/mm2 for the longitudinal strengh member of supersized containerships.
yield stress indicates the limit beyound which permanent deformation occurs.
the longitudinal strengh member is the most important part of a containerships hull.
new containerships are increasing in size and the steel plates used for them are also becoming thicker.
however says MHI when plates become thicker,toughness tends to decline.use of the new HTSS,which has successfully achived toughness in addition to increased strengh and reduced thickness,will not only contribute to improvements in weight reduction and fuel efficency,but also increase the reliablity of the ships hull.
the first containershipto incorpate the new steel will be built at MHI's nagasaki shipyard,while the steel plate will be produced at nippons steel oita works.
MHI says the 47kgf/mm2 is the worlds highest strengh steel plate for hulls of commercial ships.
currently the highest strengh steel plate being used for commercial ships is 40kgf/mm2 HTSS,introduced fifteen years ago

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Hi Dom, what's the equivalent in N/mm2 ?
I used to be in structural engineering.
My head still works in SI units.
Not used to seeing kgf in relation to tension.
New standards I suppose. Best Wishes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dom,
Did they give the material specification of the steel?

1 Kgf = 9.807N, 47Kgf = 460.9N

Regards John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts