Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noel's name has been mentioned quite a few times in Brocklebank messages.

He is coming for lunch on Thursday so I wondered if anyone had any messages or memories they would like me to pass on. With any luck I may persuade him to join our group, he was Brocklebank "Born and Bred".
------------------------
Tony C

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nobby Grayson

I never had the honour of sailing with him deep sea - an officer and Master held in high regard within the Co though - I did meet him at the Brocklebank Reunions, I think he attended both the 89 and 93 with his wife Please give him my very best wishes. (Pint)

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Never sailed with him but heard his name quite a bit . I think Allan Attack may have sailed with him ( I shall ask Alan ) and try to get him do do some posts ! He is quite anti computer I fear !

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a "Blast from the Past"!

I remember Noel Grayson very well. We sailed together for must have been nigh on two years on the Macharda 1959 - 1961 (Captains I A McLaren & John Lyle). I was the 1st R/O on her during that time. One voyage included the trip with his wife. We parted ways at the end of 1961, he was looking for a pilotage job, I came ashore and spent the next 30 years in the computer industry.

Best wishes Noel - Jim Watson

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Tony ;
I see Nobby is quite active now ! You must have had a good lunch!
I think we may soon have Geoff Guest on line as well . Keep the " Jungle Drums beating "

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi - any of you chaps remember Capt Harry Defty? I believe he was a Marine Super in Liverpool for a while after he finished his sea service.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Peter Eccleson said:
Hi - any of you chaps remember Capt Harry Defty? I believe he was a Marine Super in Liverpool for a while after he finished his sea service.
Harry Defty was marine super in Liverpool until her retired. He came ashore because during his leave after one voyage, he was chopping sticks for the fire, and a chipping shot up and permanently damaged his right eye, which prevented further sea service. He was of course the son of "Pa" Defty, a well known chief Engineer, who has long since gone to the great shipyard in the skye.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Derek Roger said:
Tony ;
I see Nobby is quite active now ! You must have had a good lunch!
I think we may soon have Geoff Guest on line as well . Keep the " Jungle Drums beating "
Yes Derek, I find this site so fascinating, that I fear other persuits are being neglected!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Noel

I know Harry's wife Anne sadly passed away but do you know if Harry is still around? He and his wife sailed as Supernumery's on ACT2 with me.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Peter ;
If you know the ACT vessels you will know Davie Meek ( Dundee )
I sailed with Dave when I was apperntice on Mahout and he 2nd Eng and then later when he was Chief and I 2nd Eng ( Mahsud )
Great Guy last time I saw him was in Saint John New Brunswick when he was Chief on one of the ACT Vessels.
Must give him a call next time in Dundee . Derek

·
Registered
544 Posts
Derek
The name rings a bell but are you sure it was ACT and npt ACL given you mention NB. We were Europe to Aussie. I did a short coastal on Mahsud in the 70,s

·
Registered
61 Posts
Harry Defty

Peter Eccleson said:
Noel

I know Harry's wife Anne sadly passed away but do you know if Harry is still around? He and his wife sailed as Supernumery's on ACT2 with me.
Peter,

Unfortunately, Harry passed away a few years ago, possibly before Anne

·
Registered
61 Posts
Macharda

Jim Watson said:
I remember Noel Grayson very well. We sailed together for must have been nigh on two years on the Macharda 1959 - 1961 (Captains I A McLaren & John Lyle). I was the 1st R/O on her during that time. One voyage included the trip with his wife. We parted ways at the end of 1961, he was looking for a pilotage job, I came ashore and spent the next 30 years in the computer industry.

Best wishes Noel - Jim Watson
Great to hear from you again Jim, 45 years since we sailed together on the good ship Macharda!!! Where has the time gone?
I didn't get the pilots job, because Brocks offered me the job of Asst Super in
London, and I and my family moved to London in April 1964.
I stayed with Brocks, apart from three years stevedoring, until I was made rredundant in in 1979. From there I went straight into the U.K> P & I Club ( Marine Insurance) until I retired in 1992
I tried to find yuor address while I was organising the Reunion in 1993, bu to no avail.
If ever you are thinking of coming down to London, do please contact me, as it would be great to meet up
Betty sends her very best wishes

Nobby

·
Registered
544 Posts
Harry Defty

Noel

Thanks...last I heard from Harry was a Xmas card telling me of the sad passing of Anne.
Obliged.
Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Noel
Sorry for the delay in replying (computer problems & holidays). It is certainly great to meet up again after so long. We (Anne & myself) moved down to Devon into the Torbay area ten years ago from the Peak District (one extreme to the other !). If you happen to be in the area we would be pleased to see you. Do you have an e-mail address ?. Mine is [email protected].

Best wishes to you both - Jim.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Jim best sent private emails by pm ( Personnel message ) to avoid perhaps getting unwanted stuff on your comput . Admin will remove your email address from this thread if you ask one of them . Just trying to be helpfull
Regards Derek

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some photo's from the Marwarri

Hi Nobby.
Attached are some photos taken during my time on the Marwarri, the time of all the fridge problems. I seen mention of Geof so I have attached a couple of his anniversary in I think Calcutta. Incase you don't recognise the seated couple that is you and Betty.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Hi Nobby.
Attached are some photos taken during my time on the Marwarri, the time of all the fridge problems. I seen mention of Geof so I have attached a couple of his anniversary in I think Calcutta. Incase you don't recognise the seated couple that is you and Betty.
Good one of Geoff ; Alan Atack keeps in touch with him ; Ill show him this when he visits me in Inverness next week

1 - 20 of 29 Posts