Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 460-gt coaster Nord Star (built 1978) ran aground off the western coast of Scotland Wednesday, but was later able to refloat itself.

The UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency confirmed that the 40-metre coaster had gone aground at Lochaline in the Sound of Mull at 18:16GMT.

The British registered ship, which was carrying a cargo of salt and had four crew, was reported aground by a Caledonian MacBrayne ferry.

The Clyde Coastguard sent the Lochaline Coastguard Rescue team and requested the launch of the Tobermory RNLI all weather lifeboat to the scene.

“The Nordstar managed to float free at 18:35GMT and is now at anchor in Lochaline,” said John Griffiths of the Clyde Coastguard.

He added: “No damage has been sustained to the coaster. We believe Nordstar was heading for the Isle of Skye."

***The Nord Star was built as Crescent Shipping's Ordinence in 1978. She was built at the Cubow Shipyard, Woolwich and a familiar sight on the Thames in the 1980s before being sold in 1994.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nord Star pic

Thamesphil said:
The 460-gt coaster Nord Star (built 1978) ran aground off the western coast of Scotland Wednesday, but was later able to refloat itself.

Seen here about to berth in Oban

Attachments

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She looks a bit different now, compared to her days as a Cresecent ship, with the large excavator on deck and additional wheelhouse for visibility.

Phil

·
Registered
157 Posts
glad "nord star" appears undamaged.i was owner /master of her for 6 years during which time i fitted her with excavator and lookout box on wheelhouse top.these additions allowed her to self load/discharge as we traded mainly around the islands on the west coast of scotland also shetland and orkney where she was based(kirkwall).she was sold to river sea trading on 14th june 2004 who have continued with the same trading patern.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
hi thames phil,10th,novenber,2005,18:28 re:nord star in trouble off western Scotland,i have been reading old thread with interest,glad she got herself off,a point of interest,you say she carries salt,and traded mainly around the islands on the west coast of Scotland.what is all that salt used for?there are not that many chips about (joke)thanks for an interesting thread,have a good week end,ben27

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
hi pilot.today,05:18.re:nord star in trouble.thank you for your input.i did not think of that(salting the road)we don't get snow here,as I write it is 30"dgs.i have the aircon goieng, have a nice day ben27

1 - 8 of 8 Posts