Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A term I heard or read recently that I have not heard in years.
I would like to know what it means and its origin. I have heard different explanations and I would like to hear more please.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
On British registered ships during the 50's and 60's there appeared to be a disproportionate number of personnel from Orkney and Shetland ( and the Western Isles), on every ship, hence the friendly term.

Similar, I suppose, to Marconi Men from Ireland.

With the decline of shipping a lot of them actually moved to Oil and gas in the North Sea.

That's my take on the term but there may be others.
God I hope it's not racist or xenophobic and the far left appear at my house to burn me out. We live in testing times.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Brings to mind that derogatory term "white officers and a Welsh crew" .
This must have begun down the pit and a tendency to serve blackened in the ship's stokehold.

Bob

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Not at all, the first NSC I came across was a Second Engineer, it was a generic term and not department specific.

In my mind you are a little too quick in attaching "Derogatory" to witty and harmless sayings.

Shouted from a berthed ship to one just sailing up the harbour, "White Crew?"
and the reply, "No, Geordies". Witty and harmless.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Rootschat, an ancestry site gives following, which somewhat matches above...

"Otkrad, Orkney or Shetland were the last ports of call for ships bound for the north of Canada. Taking on water men or livestock, reluctant recruits were quite possible. Shetland in particular suffered badly in the famine of the 1840's, the effects of which lasted 20 years. Young men were encouraged to go to sea (North Sea Chinamen!) In the case of the Royal Navy, Shetlanders pay was docked to assist Poor Relief given to their families back home. "

There is also a song by The Boys of The Lough of the same name.

geoff

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Not at all, the first NSC I came across was a Second Engineer, it was a generic term and not department specific.

In my mind you are a little too quick in attaching "Derogatory" to witty and harmless sayings.

Sorry about that ER, must be my inborn sensitivity stemming from my origins, a mining family in Mountain Ash on my mother's side and from North Wales Millwright Great, Great Grandfather on my Londoner Dad's side .

Bob

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have a vague recollection of BBC TV showing, in the black and white days, a professional boxing show from Mountain Ash.

Sometimes I feel too old to be posting on a young mans blog.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have a vague recollection of BBC TV showing, in the black and white days, a professional boxing show from Mountain Ash.

Sometimes I feel too old to be posting on a young mans blog.
Sorry, black and white is very non PC. You mean monochrome. As in the Monochrome Minstrel Show.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts