Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the northella [2] H206 was charted by the mod it was a hull stern fishing trawler, in1991 the RN used her for crew training for about five years, would it then have been called HMS NORTHELLA? regards colin rudd

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hi Colin,

The answer to your question is no.
A ship can only be H.M.S. if actually commissioned into the RN. NORTHELLA was commissioned into the RN during the Falklands War as a minesweeper but was returned to owners upon her return. She was converted into a Navigational Training Ship as M.V. NORTHELLA from 1983 and flew the Blue Ensign continuing in this role until 1998.

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Colin,

The answer to your question is no.
A ship can only be H.M.S. if actually commissioned into the RN. NORTHELLA was commissioned into the RN during the Falklands War as a minesweeper but was returned to owners upon their return. She was converted into a Navigational Training Ship as M.V. NORTHELLA from 1983 and flew the Blue Ensign continuing in this role until 1998.

Regards
Hugh
thank you,my dad ken rudd was chief at the time looking at his book he joined northella 28.3.91 on mod charter and stayed with her until 6 4 95 ...in description of voyage it says MOD [HT],WHAT DOES THAT MEAN thank you regards colin r.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you,my dad ken rudd was chief at the time looking at his book he joined northella 28.3.91 on mod charter and stayed with her until 6 4 95 ...in description of voyage it says MOD [HT],WHAT DOES THAT MEAN thank you regards colin r.
he was still employed by j marr hull,but was issued r n clothing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it is in the description of voyage section of his book it simply means Ministry of Defence [home trade] i.e. not foreign going.

Regards
Hugh
did they just bob about the isle of white for five years training R N crew,i know they were in portsmouth most weekends my mum used to go to see him,thank you for your infomation, marr ships were always a buff colour, the photo i have is navy colours.regards colin r.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Colin,
when HMS Northella was returned to Marrs in 1983 after the Falklands war she reverted back to MV Northella . Her first role was guard ship in the channel before contracted to M.O.D. charter and based at Faslane. Her primary role was navigational training/ seamanship for RN sub-lieutenants which was only 5 days per month. The remaining time was training with SAS,SBS and Navy seals. She was a submarine rescue vessel with diving equipment and decompression chambers. She went mine sweeping, guarding soviet spy trawlers, a target vessel, and anything the RN wanted to do. Took wrens or RNR personnel on patrol off Northern Ireland.
It was fun and well paid, by far my best job at sea as chief engineer. Almost every night back in port and up in Garelochead for a few beers.
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Colin,
when HMS Northella was returned to Marrs in 1983 after the Falklands war she reverted back to MV Northella . Her first role was guard ship in the channel before contracted to M.O.D. charter and based at Faslane. Her primary role was navigational training/ seamanship for RN sub-lieutenants which was only 5 days per month. The remaining time was training with SAS,SBS and Navy seals. She was a submarine rescue vessel with diving equipment and decompression chambers. She went mine sweeping, guarding soviet spy trawlers, a target vessel, and anything the RN wanted to do. Took wrens or RNR personnel on patrol off Northern Ireland.
It was fun and well paid, by far my best job at sea as chief engineer. Almost every night back in port and up in Garelochead for a few beers.
Regards
Bob
dad was on it in the channel ithink it was a trinity house guard ship guarding a cabel laying ship i rember him saying they went to gib ,and the sas men had to run up the rock before breakfast ,did you have a navy uniform,it was just right for ken as he was on northella when he retierd in 1995 .mum liked him being near home ,it was better than the ussr coast thanks for that regards colin r

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Colin,
Regards
Bob
hi bob,sorry to hassel you but in feb 87 ken joined farnella in norfolk usa ,and left at woodshole usa fg survey.cant read the masters name,was this something to do with bob ballard ,thank you regards colin r

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Colin, on Northella the deck officers wore a naval blue jersey with epaulettes nobody else. Obviously we always carried naval personnel.
In early 1985 Northella was presented with the battle honours for the Falklands. The Commodore and high ranking officials were present along with dignitaries from the Marr family. The ceremony in the wheelhouse was photographed by Wrens ( not yet seen). The champagne flowed and myself and 2/0 lowered bottles down the shipside for the crew, unbeknown by the skipper, and we arranged a party that night with the wrens and crew at the Garelochead Hotel. Good times.
if I remember Bob Ballard was on Northern Horizon ex Marbella ,looking for the Hood.
Farnella spent about 7 yrs in the USA, she was mapping the sea floor with a side scan sonar. The yanks had extended there boundary to 200 miles and wanted to know what was lying below.
regards
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Colin, on Northella the deck officers wore a naval blue jersey with epaulettes nobody else. Obviously we always carried naval personnel.
In early 1985 Northella was presented with the battle honours for the Falklands. The Commodore and high ranking officials were present along with dignitaries from the Marr family. The ceremony in the wheelhouse was photographed by Wrens ( not yet seen). The champagne flowed and myself and 2/0 lowered bottles down the shipside for the crew, unbeknown by the skipper, and we arranged a party that night with the wrens and crew at the Garelochead Hotel. Good times.
if I remember Bob Ballard was on Northern Horizon ex Marbella ,looking for the Hood.
Farnella spent about 7 yrs in the USA, she was mapping the sea floor with a side scan sonar. The yanks had extended there boundary to 200 miles and wanted to know what was lying below.
regards
Bob
thanks bob ,i have just read a book called cape of storms by hugh popham found it in dads house,it is about a trip to white sea the book is dated 1957 popham wrote the book while sailing on the brucella, ken was on it at the time , the skipper was laurie oliver thanks again regards colin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
brings a lump to my throat,thanks bob.i have a photo of kens of them four hull trawlers going under the forth bridge, i think cordella was leading regards colin.
ken was on northella H98 in 1958 ,in 1964 he was on northella H 301. then in 1991 northellaH206.i bet not many did that regards colin...on northellaH244 the crew had to wash in a bucket.H206 is northella number 5 named by j marr &son.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Colin, my wife’s father John Porter known as Jack was mate on Northella H98 but sadly lost overboard in 1960.
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
hi bob. On 30 jan 1962 ken was on the brucella,two men got washed away and three men got smashed up,one man ian ryletthad two children the other lost man was called herbert jennings of 42 worthington st hull,herbert had eight children and a wife [how did she cope] .herbert had a son that sailed on the same day his dad was lost he was on the st mark ,he did not find out about his dad until he arrived home three weeks later ...in2016 herberts son [albert] was intrrviewd for a project by hulls fishermans bethal,by this time he must have been adged about 75, and after 60 years it was still hard to talk about it,iam trying to find that interview that the bethal did it was ruth creesey who did the interview ,she is now sec at hull stand and i have been talking to her. regards colin ....the skipper was j crewdson,brucella took the injured men into tromso,and j marr &son ltd flew out four new crew members and they went back out fishing.what shocking news for all concernd

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Colin,
I would try Hull Bullnose Heritage group on Hessle rd, or FB group.
Another good group is The 11th MCM Squadron on FB, hundreds of pics of the ellas at war and peace.
Regards
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi Colin,
I would try Hull Bullnose Heritage group on Hessle rd, or FB group.
Another good group is The 11th MCM Squadron on FB, hundreds of pics of the ellas at war and peace.
Regards
Bob
did you know ron boucher ,ron lived near us in hornsea when they came home from newfoundland,him and ken used to go fishing on hornsea mear ithink he was skipper of cordella in those days ,away ten weeks home ten days,....are there any old freezer trawler skippers left now there cant be many.regards colin.i rember ron well he always brought me a box of mars bars back with him what kid could forget that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Colin,
Never heard of the name, the only skippers I remember from Marrs offshore were John Cannon from Pacific Horizon and a Rimmer from Northella.
Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts