Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the aerial comparison of the 2 shaw savill ships - for me the northern star had a much better deck space than her counterpart the southern cross - though history has proven the latter to be more succesfull
Boat Water Naval architecture Watercraft Vehicle
Boat Water Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nope. I still think NORTHERN STAR is the best of the pair. Always loved her lines, the engine aft look was far more graceful in her and yes, her deck space was better arranged, too. And I thought her much more modern interiors far more attractive, too. SOUTHERN CROSS was that bog standard blond veneer, "autumnal hued" lino decking and too many chairs and tables that British mailships just couldn't get away from. Shame that Shaw Savill couldn't stop fiddling with NORTHERN STAR's funnel livery and decoration, though. That "star" add-on was just 'orrible.

But yes.... SOUTHERN CROSS did give deck officers something to concentrate on during those endlessly routine liner crossings when the nearest port was always 3-4 days away and you felt like you had already spent a week getting that far.

Peter Kohler

·
Registered
123 Posts
The observation deck for'd of the bridge on the Star was known as Blackpool Beach. Although there was no pool it still offered something to break the monotony of watchkeeping!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah memories. I came to NZ from Southampton on the Northern Star when I was 12. Skinny little white kid from Aberdeen in Scotland, got to Las Palmas and lay down to get a tan before the new country. 120F in the shade apparently - a temperature that we only ever saw on the oven in Scotland - and I got sunburnt, sun-stroke, the whole deal so don't remember much before arrival at Capetown. To me, coming from a marine family and having been on plenty ships, I thought the Star was palatial. Very noisy engine room. I spent 6 weeks going all over it and at that age it was great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The photos confirm my memory that the Southern Cross had a swiming pool in front of the bridge. As a seven year old on the Cross' maiden voyage to NZ in 1955 I remember the crossing of the line ceremony.

The first few days out of Southhampton my mother spent the time in bed suffering from sea sickness.

I have searched the NZ Immigration archive records and have a copy of the report sent from London to Wellington after my father was interviewed for a place in the immigration draft 39. I know how many pieces of luggage my parents had and their description. I know who would be meeting us in Wellington. I also know how much the NZ government paid Shaw Saville for my parents, my sister and I.

On arrival in NZ the imigrants were not permitted to take a holiday because they had just been on a six week cruise!!!!!

The NZ Immigration Departnent instructed Shaw Saville that the immigrants were to be treated the same as the other passengers.

My reason for joining this forum was to locate logs of the Cross' maiden voyage. I suspect that we made landfall at the Castlepoint lighthouse after travelling from Panama and then travelled down the coast to Wellington but have no proof.

I have a vague recollection that as we entered Wellington harbour we passed a Dutch passenger ship that had stopped. The story was that the crew were on strike. Does anyone remember such an event?

Finally, and thism is most frustrating, from the swimming pool we would have had a clear sight of the crew taking morning and noon sights but as a seven year old I did not know about such things. I am assuming that on the Cross the British tradition of long by chrons and noon sights would have been followed. None of this new-fangled "new navigation."....

It would make my day if someone on this forum had information about navigation practices on the Cross. Norie, Inman, precomputed tables such as Hughes or even HO214 tables??????????????????? GPS is so boring!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts