Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while in the U.K.saving historical ferrys/and other craft is hard to accomplish,they have the same problem in the U.S.A. the SS Catalina,at the begining of the year was lying in a Mexicn harbour waiting her fate,the Catalina was built at the L.A.shipbuilding and drydock co.in 1924
1,766g.r.t. 302x52ft
15.5 knts
two triple expansion-reciprocating engines,built by Hoover,Owens+Rentshler,of Hamilton,Ohio
each engine has a 2,000 h.p. capacity
yrs in service 51.
launched in 1924 and built by Santa Catalina Island owner ,chewing gum magnate William Wigley,she was used to transport passengers from L.A.to the island,during her working life she carried over 2.4million passemgers to and from Avalon Bay on Catalina Is.
commissioned as FS 99 during war service,from Aug.25th 1942-April15 1946 the SS Catalina carried over 800,000 troups in the San Francisco bay area
to-day[jan/06]lies partly submerged in a Mexican harbour

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
I've seen pictures of her in "Maritime matters.com"
Haven't got the thread to hand, but, I'm sure if you google SS Catalina, you'll find her.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
S.S. Catalina

Coastie said:
I've seen pictures of her in "Maritime matters.com"
Haven't got the thread to hand, but, I'm sure if you google SS Catalina, you'll find her.
As Coastie says, there are plenty of hits if you Google for S.S. Catalina. The following url is her official website.
http://www.sscatalina.org/ (Thumb)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts