Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
A photo taken by my wife whilst on Ocean Monarch of 3/O Jonty Howard in front of Northern Star somewhere in the Pacific. The Monarch must have been anchored off somewhere in the vicinity?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Shaw Savill Pax ships

Did you marry a Nursing Sister Paul? Or a pasenger ?

Take it you were 3/0 on the Northern Star at this time? Great times and a great life! Paid for it too! What more could a young man want?

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
my wife was an assistant purser with SSA from 1971 to 74 on Monarch and Star. I met her on the Star in Dec 1973. I was 3/0 on Star from August 73 until May 74.

·
Registered
439 Posts
OM Crew

To the far right of your picture is Chief Steward George Kaz - I had letter from him this week - he is currently in Sydney, Australia, on holiday.
I know many of the crew including old Doc King, I never sailed on the Monarch but many of the crew had sailed on the Star and the Cross - where I worked in the Purser' Office.

Great photo, Paul - must take a closer look to see how many more I recognise,

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
439 Posts
OM Crew

Hi Paul

I think I recognise quite a few faces here - especially pursers - Pete Lyon, Chris and Steve Biggs, Jerry Terleske,Roy Clarke, and Rosalia Chesterman, and also Mate Willie Carruthers, and Jonty Howard.

cheers Jamie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Paul,
Interesting to see some faces from long ago - Capt Fox, I sailed with in DURANGO, a fine seaman, Willie Carruthers relieved me as mate on DARRO, I heard subsequently he died at sea in command of RESOLUTION BAY? - I think I also recognise Craig Harris in the photo, he would have been 2/0 on OCEAN MONARCH.
Best rgds
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
A line up of Ocean Monarch officers in 1973 probably. Captain Fox in command. My wife is second from right.
oh my god
I remember many of these people as I was night baker on the ocean monarch up until the last trip
geordie steve from sunderland

great memories anyone have any photos id love to see them
im in australia now
regards
steve
Please PM me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is the "Jonty " Howard in the original photo the same one who was Master on the CSO Wellservicer a couple of years ago?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the "Jonty " Howard in the original photo the same one who was Master on the CSO Wellservicer a couple of years ago?
Must say it looks very like him, I knew Jonty when he was a DPO on Houlder Offshore's Uncle John, in fact I gave him the job on there, after interviewing him in the "Rising Sun" at Warsash. Houlder Offshore was taken over by Stena Offshore, when China Merchants sold us off, in 1990/91. I know he went to the Stena Constructor in the Falklands for a while, his RNR connection probably helped down there.

·
Banned
83 Posts
We always like to see faces of crew members in the gallery.
Maybe someone we knew way back when.
Looking forward to seeing them.

Kris

1 - 20 of 94 Posts