Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use this forum to praise the work of David Hornsby and his latest edition if Ocean Ships? This, the 13th edition surpasses the previous volumes in its accuracy and quality in the age when ships constantly change names in a chartering environment. It must be soul destroying to bring out such a book which is already incorrect when it goes to print. A reference work to be proud of and an honour to own.
DS

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I haven/t had an OCEAN SHIPS since the Bert Moody days but I/m sure the present edition is as good as all the others.A very difficult undertaking . :clap:

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ocean ships

Fairfield said:
I haven/t had an OCEAN SHIPS since the Bert Moody days but I/m sure the present edition is as good as all the others.A very difficult undertaking . :clap:
Hi Fairfield
I am coming back and i have buy the new ocean ships book .
it is very good . Are the profile of ships of the Bert Moody edition that
are changed. A lot of year are passed!!!!!!!
hello
GP

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
I am looking at 9 volumes on my bookcase back to 1966, and one from 1962; also have some individual Ian Allan reference books back to 1959 such as Ocean Tankers . I still look at them even today. I must really be a ship anorak!

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Ian Allan Abc books

Yes, 2/6 by H.M. Le Fleming and on the back are coupons which you could redeem against future purchases. Valid until 31/12/1960 on one of mine! My 1962 Ocean Ships at 12/6 contains some fascinating tramp ship companies with two or three ships.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Golden Age of Shipping 1900--1960 in the Conways history of the ship is excelent
Also A New History of British Shipping by Ronald Hope is a must it covers the period 3000 bc to 1988

·
Banned
25 Posts
gadgee said:
Yes, 2/6 by H.M. Le Fleming and on the back are coupons which you could redeem against future purchases. Valid until 31/12/1960 on one of mine! My 1962 Ocean Ships at 12/6 contains some fascinating tramp ship companies with two or three ships.
Dammit--I'm a latecomer--mine are dated 1961 with an offer of all six books at 2/6 each or the six combined as 'Ocean Ships' for 12/6 (board cover, not paperback}.

About the same time, there was a series issued by Adlard Coles Ltd., Southampton called "Ships of ........(the London River, Southampton, the Clyde, etc.) with le Fleming, Laurence Dunn and others contributing.

I feel a little better. I thought I was a nutcase, squirrelling away these small paperbacks for over forty years and still digging them out every so often for a good read.

Bruce C

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Ocean Ships 14 th edition publication has now been put back to end of June 06, so I was told by WH Smith (Booksellers UK) yesterday 30/05/06

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
My copy came last week. I ordered it at Amazon on line, and it came on Friday. How's that for service for a book not supposed to be out until the end of June?!. Only just had chance to look at it properly, and it is very good. My first Ocean Ships book since B Moody 1971. David Hornsby has done a superb job. It is hard enough keeping up to date with the ever changing cruise world in the first part of passenger liners and cruise ships. But Part Two is a very large section of cargo vessels and tankers which must have taken a huge amount of time and dedication record. So if you read this David, full marks for a truly excellent book. By the way, the ship on the front page is Navigator of the Seas. I will be on board her all being well next April for her first cruise from Southampton. David

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Ocean ships of which I have 7 and the first one is 1967. They do not always say which edition they are .The 1976 one says the first edition was 1964 so if any one can give me the full SP it would be very helpful in finding early copies
Regards Alan.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have a copy which only states "This edition 1994", so I don't really know which edition number it is.
It has 224 pages and is a hardback. It lists many newbuilds up to 1997, some of which were yet to be named.
I've found it a great reference book and I shall certainly get the latest edition.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Ron , there are masses of them used on the web all that I have bought have been quite cheap and everyone in good condition. I just need to tie down a couple of earlier copies. Regards, Alan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts