Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ships bell of the oceanic has turned up at a museum, see:

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/news%20stories/January%202006/mystery_ship's_bell_surfaces_at_museum.htm

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I never realised anyone was looking for it or thought it was missing. As a point of interest Olympics' bell is in the care of the Titanic Historical Society in Springfield, Mass, USA.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason the link is not working, to view copy and paste address into address bar at top of page. (Appologies if I'm stating the obvious!!!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
The story of the 1970's salvage operation on the Oceanic is told in the book Deep Water by Moya Crawford. A pair of divers with an old fishing drifter recovered a lot of valuable scrap metal from her. Incidentally, wasn't Herbert Lightoller and officer on Oceanic at the time of her stranding?

·
Banned
21 Posts
Oceanic ships bell

The story of the salvage of the wreck of the Oceanic, as told by the salvagers themselves, is in a book called " The Other Titanic, by Simon Martin (Salvage report, 1980).

I read it some years ago. Got it from the library, brilliant read. I highly recommend it.

You are quite right Arden when you say Charles Herbert Lightoller was an officer on the Oceanic when she was wrecked, he was First Officer or should I say 1st Lieutenant Lightoller, again he was asleep in his cabin when the stranding occurred.

Chris.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Haven't read that one Chris but I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Moya was the wife of the other diver (Alec Crawford).

Old Lightoller was a bit unlucky then - I believe a destroyer he commanded later in WW1 also ran aground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts