Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO

·
Registered
339 Posts
Albert Lane

DURANGO said:
hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO
I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul (Thumb)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Phil Saul said:
I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul (Thumb)
when i ws on the pyrrhus the bosun was the called the gaul i beleive he used to drive coaches when he was on leave anyone remember him

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Samsette said:
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?
i reckon that is the same man as you say a tall man he was sinewey, also i found him to be o.k and he knew his stuff

·
Registered
269 Posts
DURANGO said:
If [email protected] the same Albert Lane - he was 2nd Mate on the Glengarry in 1958. A superb footballer! Our ships team was undefeated for two trips until we played the RN at Singapore!

Ex Bluey!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
"Pyrrhus"

DURANGO said:
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Trader said:
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader.
Thanks for that Trader theres nothing like the sight of a Bluey to take a man back to the golden days be lucky mate thanks again

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I was at the Prince of Wales Sea Training school in Dover with a Willie Woods from Buckie in 1963. Could that be the same guy? Come to think of it I think he was from Port Knockie (?).

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Whilst never having sailed with Bronco Lane in my time with Blue Funnel I have heard many tales some probably growing with telling. Seems this man was a bit of a legend

·
Registered
22 Posts
Calling all ex Blueys who had sailed on some of the Straits Steamships vessels. There is a gathering of all ex seafarers coming up in Singapore soon. Those interested please email me at [email protected] Look forward to response from you. Cheers, Sylvester ex CENTAUR PROTESILAUS STENTOR RHEXENOR ANTENOR DOLIUS MACHAON MARON GLENLYON GLENROY EGORI PELEUS AND FEW OTHERS which I cant remember.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Would that be the Same Bronco Lane who we used to sing along with in The Aigburth Hotel 1962 / 63 ??? He was quite good on the Guitar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
George Wood

I sailed with George Wood on the Automedon in the 50's and subsequently went to his wedding. He was from Port Nockie and his wife was from the same area. Unfortunately Janet died not long after they were married. George was a great shipmate with a hearty sense of humour. When he lapsed into the North East dialect he was hard to understand but I had sailed with a few from that area previously and "it wis nae bothe tae ken whit he said aboot the quines!!!"
Regards. Dugie

·
Registered
487 Posts
From the best of memory the Goul was Harry Evans. He was Bosun of the Pyrrhus for most of the Sixties. Don't know about driving buses during his leave but like all Bosuns in the Blue Funnel he got there because he was an excellent sailor
Hague

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Old Blue Flu Mates

I'm not ex.Blue Flue but there are two names which I would like to chuck into the pot in case anyone should be able to shed light on their subsequent careers. The first is a long shot and would be aimed at those of you around the 70 mark. He was a cadet with BF around the 1954/55 period and his name was Tony Ablett. I'm not certain if he completed his cadetship or not.
The second certainly did and I believe continued in their service. Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
John Kennedy

hi ship mates, does anyone remember John F Kenedey bosun on theseus 1966
I sailed with John Kennedy 'around the land' in 66 and I think he was on his first trip as Bosun. A Birkenhead man. Frequently pops up on the Radio Merseyside "Roger Philips Lunch Time Show" ( a phone in between 1200- 1330hrs.)
Brgds
Hague

·
Registered
37 Posts
Willie Wood was second mate of the Pyrrhus, when I was the fourth mate, in 1960.
Jim Geddie and I were middies together on Diomed voy 4 & 5, in 1957/58
We swapped e mails a couple of years ago, he was on Friends Reunited, but have since lost touch.
Regards
Dolius

1 - 20 of 306 Posts