Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 1959 I saw a vessel in Jeddah flying the Lebanese flag.
She was of a classic Blue Funnel style.
Sadly I wasn't able to take a picture, but have wondered to this day what she may have been. I think her general style would be that of a vessel buit between 1900 and 1910
One of those bucket list questions to check off
Ian

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Phrontis

Hello Ian,

I have just had a quick look a through my Blue Funnel Line book and the only one I can come up with is the m.v. "Phrontis" which was sold to Saudi Arabia in 1958. She was one of four built in 1926 and unusual in that she had two hatches between the bridge and funnel.

If she was sold to Saudi Arabia she would probably be in Jeddah. No mention of Lebanese flag though. In my photo you can see portholes all along the ships side which means she could be converted to carry pilgrims from the Far East to Jeddah.

Alec.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Alec,
I had a reference for the Phrontis which shows that she was broken up in August 1958, but never trust the web.
I was on Brocklebank's Mahronda at the time, she was 8495 GRT and this vessel was larger than the Mahronda.
It is possible that this was not a direct sale but rather a resale on the part of the original purchaser.
Ian

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Thanks for that Alec,
I had a reference for the Phrontis which shows that she was broken up in August 1958, but never trust the web.
I was on Brocklebank's Mahronda at the time, she was 8495 GRT and this vessel was larger than the Mahronda.
It is possible that this was not a direct sale but rather a resale on the part of the original purchaser.
Ian
Phrontis seems to be the best candidate, although her gt is given as 6.635 tons in Duncan Haws definitive 'Blue Funnel Line'
She was built in 1925 in Caledon Yard Dundee, and operated by the Dutch arm of BF, N.S.M Oceaan, and registered in Amsterdam.
She was sold in 1958 to M Bakhasab, Saudi Arabia, and renamed Ryad.
She was scrapped in August 1958 in Hong Kong.

regards,
Pat(Thumb)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pat
Unless the scrapping date was incorrect, it can't have been the Phrontis as it was definately 1959 I saw the vessel in question
Ian

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Pat
Unless the scrapping date was incorrect, it can't have been the Phrontis as it was definately 1959 I saw the vessel in question
Ian
Ian,
There was another 'ancient' Bluey that survived for many years, was sold, and was scrapped in 1959.
The Myrmidon, built by Armstrong Whitworth in Newcastle, in 1905, she was a 3 cylinder triple expansion steamer of 4,965 gt, 391.5 ft long, 49.2 ft beam and 28.8 ft depth, and a speed of 10 knots.
Myrmidon was torpedoed and and beached in the Med in 1917.
She was salvaged and repaired and continued trading for BF until 1930 when she was sold to a company in Ravenna and renamed Rubicone.
She was scrapped in Split in 1959 after a career of 44 years.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Photo from the John Clarkson Collection

Attachments

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I doubt that it was Phrontis as she had an unusual layout for a BF. Nice history of Myrmidon - They don't build 'em like that anymore!
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I doubt that it was Phrontis as she had an unusual layout for a BF. Nice history of Myrmidon - They don't build 'em like that anymore!
Rgds.
Dave
I must agree Dave, Phrontis did not have that traditional Blue Funnel style, what with having the funnel down aft and all!
Here is a photo courtesy of the John Clarkson Collection.

Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the photos and comments and my memories of what I saw, I think the Phrontis is the best fit.
If that is so then the scrapping date is incorrect.
The purchaser in Saudi was the owner of a shipping line and it would be unusual if she was sold by BF and ended up in the breakers yard all in the same year.
Ian

·
Registered
538 Posts
I too think it was the "Phrontis" I actually did a round Dutch East Indies (as it was called in those days) Voyage on her as 1st R/O= only non-Dutchman on board-must say enjoyed the trip -good shipmates.Teb

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the sad thing about memory, I can remember vividly what I saw in 1959, but can't remember what I intended to do when I go from one room to another
Ian

·
Registered
474 Posts
From Pat's photograph of the Phrontis, surely that is not a funnel but a stove pipe from the crews quarters.
Proper place for the engineroom was amidships. Maybe the funnel was ducted aft somehow!!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
That's the sad thing about memory, I can remember vividly what I saw in 1959, but can't remember what I intended to do when I go from one room to another
Ian
A friend of mine said he was going to get the nearest road junction moved to his house,'cos he said he remembered so many things after just turning that corner that he could not remember when he got into the car.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From Pat's photograph of the Phrontis, surely that is not a funnel but a stove pipe from the crews quarters.
Proper place for the engineroom was amidships. Maybe the funnel was ducted aft somehow!!!
I believe the Phrontis was an early motorship, a surprisingly high funnel but very much in the BF tradition. She had a counter stern, as did the vessel I saw in Jeddah, which is why I thought she might be pre WW1.
As to putting two hatches between the bridge and engine room, that would seem to be forward thinking as you no longer have a boiler room or coal bunkers, it made a great deal of sense to use the more box shaped part of the hull for cargo.
Complete the logic and move the bridge house aft to join the engine room and you would have a fairly modern vessel layout.
Ian

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Ian,
She was a motorship, her engines were as follows;
Twin screw oil, 2X8 cylinders giving 4800 BHP and a speed of 14 knots.The engines were built by Burmeister and Wain in Copenhagen.
Best Regards,
Pat

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have an excellent framed photo at home in the Philippines, by Skyfotos, of either Phrontis or sistership Phemius (ex Alcinous). Just picked it out as a good looking Bluey and bought it with several others of BF ships I actually sailed on.
The aerial shot shows the layout much clearer than the photo in Pat's post #9 above. Funnel was about three quarters aft with at least one more hatch aft of it. Will check it out better next time on leave.

I thought this ship came out with a Scott-Still engine, maybe I'm wrong.

Rgds,
Richard

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I have an excellent framed photo at home in the Philippines, by Skyfotos, of either Phrontis or sistership Phemius (ex Alcinous). Just picked it out as a good looking Bluey and bought it with several others of BF ships I actually sailed on.
The aerial shot shows the layout much clearer than the photo in Pat's post #9 above. Funnel was about three quarters aft with at least one more hatch aft of it. Will check it out better next time on leave.

I thought this ship came out with a Scott-Still engine, maybe I'm wrong.

Rgds,
Richard
DOLIUS & EURYBATES eng.Scott Still

1 - 20 of 39 Posts