Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across the attached photo a while ago. I think it is of Marine Department staff in the latter 1960s when Esso had an office in Victoria Street, London. When it was taken I was doing the six month sentence to the Materials Supply Group. In those days Esso felt it appropriate to have a member of the seagoing staff in the MSG to interpret calls for assistance from the fleet since on occasion they tended to be a bit technical. So we were pulled from sea service for a most luxurious six months on outrageous expenses in accommodation considered by the company to be suitable for officers, and with very little to do but entertain visiting American visiting personnel every evening. Oh the nights in the Raymond Review Bar and the best hotel dining rooms! More than six months was considered bad for us marine engineers.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone can put names to these guys? For a challenge, I am standing on the left of Owen Wheetman.

View attachment 20167

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
ART6,

Sorry, your attachment isn't working.
When posting, you need to go to the "Attach Files" section which you will find below the "Submit Reply" button.
Once you find the "Attach Files" section, click on the "Manage Attachments" button and follow the instructions from there. (Thumb)

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Recognise Bob De'ath forth from left in the front row and a number of others look familiar, but I couldn't put names to them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recognise Bob De'ath forth from left in the front row and a number of others look familiar, but I couldn't put names to them.
Hi Chris,

Regognise Malcom Hart (Ch.Eng Milford Haven back row, and Alan Washbourne (Master- Dalriada) middle row,

That's all I'm afraid

Alex

·
Registered
30 Posts
I came across the attached photo a while ago. I think it is of Marine Department staff in the latter 1960s when Esso had an office in Victoria Street, London. When it was taken I was doing the six month sentence to the Materials Supply Group. In those days Esso felt it appropriate to have a member of the seagoing staff in the MSG to interpret calls for assistance from the fleet since on occasion they tended to be a bit technical. So we were pulled from sea service for a most luxurious six months on outrageous expenses in accommodation considered by the company to be suitable for officers, and with very little to do but entertain visiting American visiting personnel every evening. Oh the nights in the Raymond Review Bar and the best hotel dining rooms! More than six months was considered bad for us marine engineers.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone can put names to these guys? For a challenge, I am standing on the left of Owen Wheetman.

View attachment 20167
Which one is Owen Wheetman???
I regognise Malcolm Hart!

Regards
Alex

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is, my god, so young, Owen died on the Esso York in the 70's!!
Yes, I knew Owen well. We never served together as during my time we were both S2/Es. From memory he took over from me in the York, I think in early 1969 when she was going to be converted to tendering for offshore VLCCs although memory is a bit strained nowadays. He was a good man and a very good engineer. He would have become a super if he'd lived.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I knew Owen well. We never served together as during my time we were both S2/Es. From memory he took over from me in the York, I think in early 1969 when she was going to be converted to tendering for offshore VLCCs although memory is a bit strained nowadays. He was a good man and a very good engineer. He would have become a super if he'd lived.
Hi Hector,

Did you ever sail with my Dad, Jimmy Chapman (Lecky)?

Alex Chapman

·
Registered
2 Posts
FB group Esso Marine UK

Calling any ex Esso UK people.. there is a Facebook group specifically for us.

Look for Esso Marine UK

All are welcome to share a photo, memories or tell a story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts