Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oloibiri 1977

Phil 'Willum' Williams R/O here - Beard, Guitar, Concertina. I actually kept a diary on that trip Feb to May 1977 that Ive just found.
I joined in Le Havre and we sailed to Bonny, Brass, Rotterdam Curacao etc.

2nd Elec was Dave COUPE from Bolsover good at card tricks. I was entertainments man for the Jumbo Bar and organised all sort of events. Hamish Mc'Nasty (Iain Murray) featured, as did CD (Crane Driver) who once did a classic routine with an elephant called NUTS who put a foot on Brian Nuttall then the Grocer came in and call 'Peanuts' and the OM got soaked.

Grew Sweet peas and John Miller the engineer got his to flower.
Other names from the diary are John and Julie Templeton, Maggie & Ray Cullis, and my 2nd R/O Graeme Deane.

I remember the ship for being one of the deepest EVER to go through the Dover straits, when we had 2 capts, Nuttall & Ward, but mostly for the excellent social life.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Willum
Same as Harry breally - still trying to forget. A small point Alastair was a Scot. Hios father was irish. Alastair lived in kinlochleven. memorable episode off Corruna when steering gear failed - Sperry Rand kit I think - twin uniots and took a while to figure out what was going on. Meanwhile heading for hard landing on Spain. Call for Alastair as it was the electronic gizmo causing the problem. Enters steering flat in everyday radio shack rig - sandals shorts and light shirt. Slip on wet deck as he puts foot down and only AVO on board does an arabesque into the air and smashes on the deck. All hell broke loose then as we were pretty close to shore. Managed to get emergency manual steering engaged and then a huge effort to get the jolly green giant turned around and away from Spain. Cannot remember how we fixed it but I am sure we managed something "unusual". good to hear from you guys after all this time. Yes social life could be fun and I do remember the thunderbirds episodes.

Regrads to all slainte
Uisdean

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Willum.
Ray(speedie)Cullis joined IT in the Gulf after maiden voyage from La Spezia. I sailed with him as 3/E in Port Line, having obtained his Chiefs ticket gave him delusions of grandure, threatening to have me logged and flogged for using his nickname now that he was at the dizzy heights of 2/E after getting my "OFF" reply and advise from Cheng Hoy, the Chineese/Geordy Chief, he came to his senses.

Regards

·
Registered
Fleetwood Nautical college 1973 to 1976 Cunard, radio electronic Services 1975 to 1983
4 Posts
Oloibiri 1977

Phil 'Willum' Williams R/O here - Beard, Guitar, Concertina. I actually kept a diary on that trip Feb to May 1977 that Ive just found.
I joined in Le Havre and we sailed to Bonny, Brass, Rotterdam Curacao etc.

2nd Elec was Dave COUPE from Bolsover good at card tricks. I was entertainments man for the Jumbo Bar and organised all sort of events. Hamish Mc'Nasty (Iain Murray) featured, as did CD (Crane Driver) who once did a classic routine with an elephant called NUTS who put a foot on Brian Nuttall then the Grocer came in and call 'Peanuts' and the OM got soaked.

Grew Sweet peas and John Miller the engineer got his to flower.
Other names from the diary are John and Julie Templeton, Maggie & Ray Cullis, and my 2nd R/O Graeme Deane.

I remember the ship for being one of the deepest EVER to go through the Dover straits, when we had 2 capts, Nuttall & Ward, but mostly for the excellent social life.
Hi Phil, your 2nd RO from Oloibiri here, Graeme Deane, just came across this whilst looking for something else, wondered if you are still getting emails about replies

·
Registered
Fleetwood Nautical college 1973 to 1976 Cunard, radio electronic Services 1975 to 1983
4 Posts
Hello,
I was R/O on Oloibiri took over from the unique Alistair Stoupe. I have a crossing line ceremony photo somewhere with Bernie & Doris and Brian Nuttall Robbie Pescott Chris Haughton. Hi to Hughie, we had a Guarantee engineer called Gianni, and a pigeon called Stormbringer. I ran the Ogbono Bean growing competition and the Saturday night entertainment. I remember the 2nd Elec Dave from Bolsover he kept ducks. I also remember running out of water on the way to Curacao and bulding a dam in the tank and having a bucket per person per day. I also invented 'Thunderbirds Are Go' a telephone scheme to save people from ear-ache.
Phil 'Willum' Williams R/O Guitar and Concertina player.
Hi I was your 2nd R/O on that trip, i remember Stormbringer, and the mess it made of the elephant tusks in the bar. I have some pictures of the crossing line ceremony 24th May 1977. Iam in the shadow, 3rd from right

41 - 47 of 47 Posts