Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, First post on this forum

Please does anybody have old copies of the "Olsen's fisherman's nautical almanac". The information that I need from them is the fishing vessel lists at the back of the books in order to add more detail to a fishing vessel database. Maybe someone could provide photocopies for which I prepared to pay. I am after the lists from older books, ideally anything from 1976 to 1990 but anything would be interesting.

Also of interest would be pictures of boats from any of the Sussex ports i.e. Shoreham, Newhaven or Rye.

Regards, Martin

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
HI Martin I have a 1951/66/88/96 olsens If theres anything your looking for in any of them just give me a bell on the private message link and I'll do what I can ,

Slainte Billy'

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Olsens Almanacs

Hi guys, thank you Martin for getting this forum going, so that those of us interested in Trawlers can converse without treading on "mainstream" toes. Billy, I would appreciate any info on "BM" registered vessels from the 50's thru to say the seventies, as I am trying to compile a Brixham database. May I publicly here thank Martin, and also members Rienk and Roland in Holland and Belgium for their considerable help thus far, also for the photos they have so kindly sent......it has been a tremendous help to me, Trev

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Olsens

Billy, thank you so much for that....you have identified 10 new vessels for me, in addition, I have been able to allocate numbers to 2 more vessels, a tremendous help, thank you for going to so much trouble, regards, Trev

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
hello martin,
i to am a new member, i have a old "olsens " for the year 1947, if it is any use to you,
regards
myjan

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what sort of information Olsens holds of fishing vessels?
I'm using copies of Lloyds registers as my main source but, they fall down because they don't record port registery numbers.

Regards

Clem

·
Banned
38 Posts
Trev
When I worked for the RNMDSF at Overgang, we had a copy of a book listing all current fishing vessels, with photographs and their numbers. Pretty sure it will still be there - why not pop in and have a word with Len.
Regards
Peter4447 (*))

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Olsens has the vessels listed by both name and port reg no, and includes info on where and when built, size of boat, callsign,owner, etc, although there are a lot of blanks in the info. The older Olsens list boats over 15 tons, and the newer ones list boats over 10 metres. Its a yearly publication.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
olsens

I was on the understanding that the Olsen's were stopped publishing a few years ago.Iwould say that they are collectors items now.Is it true that the Olsen's were not published through the war years (Thumb)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
may well be that it is no longer published, most recent one that i've seen is 2000. i suppose it's been superseded by Fishing News's "Fishing vessels of Britain and Ireland".
as regards the war years, when i was doing research in the Scottish Fisheries Museum, there were copies there from during WW2, but the lists of vessels and registrations were not included in those volumes.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When you think that nearly every boat with a wheelhouse had one every year (at one time some of the salesmen, agents, etc used to hand them out to there own boats)you would think the place would be flooded with them , but instead there like hens teeth, and selling for over £20 on ebay ,I 'd love to have a look at what WK (Wick)boats are regestered on the 47 book , the oldest one I've seen was from 1934 it had small boats listed as well ,all the wee yole's/yawl's from all the tiny harbours around the coast

Slainte Billy

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Olsens

Guys, these hardly ever turn up on ebay.. When they do, the price is high.....am I out of order in suggesting we, at least, do not bid against each other ?? I for one, only want the info contained in them, I dont need more books clogging up my shelves !! What do you think ?? regards to all, and sincere thanks for all your contributions to the fishing vessel bit.......Trev

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Would It be an idea to put any info from the like of the Olsen's books,that we pass to each other on to the fishing vessels photo forum , photo copy's etc

Slainte Billy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any info. on the Norwegian owned vessel Meloy, ex. LT122 Feasible until she was, sold post war to Norway.

Thanks

Clem

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks Barney, I just searched for "Meloy" never thought to add "Ship" as well.

I'm still trying to identify her Norwegian owners.

Cheers

Clem

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Think i've got 1982,1984,1986,1996 and the very last year 2000 when the printers went under. I've also got this years Fishing Vessels of UK & Ireland by David Linke ( altho this does have several factual errors that I have noticed ). I'm not at home just now ( won't be till monday at the earliest ) due to just getting home from hospital after an operation so if you need anything from my books please be patient with the patient lol

Davie

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If your useing Olsens's of a later date I've found that the newer the book the more mistake's, I'm listing the Brixham boats 1988 for some of the lads and have already found 9 cases where the numerical list does not tally whith the alphabetical list

Slainte Billy

1 - 20 of 111 Posts