Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was once told that the R/Os on P+O ships ... being rather more middle-class than the rest of us ... would use "OC" (old chap) when in QSO with others of their fleet. Is this true or was someone just pulling my leg?

BTW, with regard to "OM", French radio amateurs will often refer to themselves as "un OM".

W

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was once told that the R/Os on P+O ships ... being rather more middle-class than the rest of us ... would use "OC" (old chap) when in QSO with others of their fleet. Is this true or was someone just pulling my leg?

BTW, with regard to "OM", French radio amateurs will often refer to themselves as "un OM".

W
The French use 'vx' often too.
Cheers.
Mike.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
MikeGDH beat me to it but as quite a few CW abrevs are French derived OM has been referred to as exactly that. OM = Homme.

·
Premium Member
10,323 Posts
Ignoring my Sister-in-law's adamant claims that the French never abbreviate names I would have thought your report of VX in stead of OM would have been MV (mon vieux). But, clv (le shrug gallic au cle?)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
What I said was OM instead of think Eng Old Man was actually Fr derived from l'hOMme and somewhere in my receding RAM some Franco-phobe came up with OC as more appropriate.
First time I heard VX was from St Lys/FFL when at sea.
A familiarity I may add that was never encouraged when I was at UK coast-stations.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did any of you old chaps / old men come across 73 from the Coast Stations? VIS and VIP operators used it at times. Maybe they were also radio amateurs. In any case those stations were quite laid back and a pleasure to work. I don't think I heard it from GKA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
73 was a new one on me until I became a Radio Amateur some years after I left the sea.
I do not use it.
Ditto TKS, TNX.
I always used (and still do) TU SU which has a lovely rhythmic sound to it.
Dit Dit !!!!!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Another pulled from receding RAM is I think OC Old Chap may have originated during WW2 by Bomber Command Lancaster w/t ops and their base stations.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of my chiefs was sarcastic about PO. Said that PO once asked the Admiralty for permission to wear swords. Admiralty replied that they could, but must wear them on the right hand side.
LOL! I heard that too but the caveat was that the swords would have to be wooden!

·
Registered
107 Posts
It was a well known fact that P&O and their associate companies only employed the creme de la creme R/O,s thats why we were always in great demand by the ladies of Australia and NZ.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
One of my chiefs was sarcastic about PO. Said that PO once asked the Admiralty for permission to wear swords. Admiralty replied that they could, but must wear them on the right hand side.
Yep - I heard that story as well....ha!

******s....from one who has worn both MN and RAN uniforms, the grey funnel line never wore swords at sea, unless it was a (very rare) ceremonial occasion.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts