Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many generations of wordsmiths it took to turn the simple, single syllable word 'crew' into 'onboard employees'? The term was used to-day, in a news clip, by a company spokesman to describe the crew on a Stena Line vehicle ferry on the Rosslare run from Brittany, re. stowaways

The people described may not be seamen in the sense I remember, but surely if you work on a ship, or even an aircraft, and you are not the master/chief pilot, you are part of the crew.

Nick

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Agreed.
It's commercial speak and you have to go along with this c**p and loads of other PC stuff.
Just as well I'm retired or I'd be fired or grind my teeth down to the gums.

For instance in civil aviation the Chief Steward has been variously referred to as:
IFD (In Flight Director)
CSD (Cabin Service Director)
CSM (Customer Service Manager)
etc etc

All b*****ks but some non-professional manager dreams it up and makes his/her name by applying it, getting their bonus then f*****g off somewhere else to b****r up their operation. Paranoid? Moi?

p.s. Errm - just in from pub when I wrote that :eek:
(The discussion was lively there too)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Until retiring, I worked as a pierhand/nigh****chman, for 15 yrs. As pierhand I did tie ups and let gos, plus car park work, marshaling etc. As nigh****chman, I looked after the vessel overnight. I regarded everyone onboard, from Capt down, as the 'crowd'. I like to think, that as well as looking after the vessel, I looked after the 'crowd'. The only reference I ever got to crew, would be a note on the bridge, if early sailing, "call the crew at xxxx". This would be the deck crowd. Catering crowd got themselves up, unless, maybe, the cook asked for a call.
I tend to agree with Basil, re 'made up' ranks, that there were some ranks in the catering crowd, which made no sense to me. They were all 'crowd' to me.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I suppose that some of the 'onboard workforce' do not themselves regard their function as crew. Maybe the shop assistants, bureau de change, croupiers etc like to differentiate their tasks, but I sincerely trust that they still do safety drills!

Note that shoreside shop staff nowadays call themselves 'colleagues' - When presented with the term I tend to point out that the person is their colleague, not mine.

Also, pointed out somewhere hereabouts recently: We no longer have a Chief Cook, we now have an Executive Head Chef.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Appropriate, you must admit, for a Trireme.

A story told me by Don Sixto Celaya, Conoco Master.

After a fire in the galley (ie cookplace) the office asked for a report on the state of the staff. Being unfamiliar with then word the dictionary was consulted and they arrived at strips of wood/pole/lath (as per lath and plaster). The nearest resemblance to this was the deckhead supporting members which they duly report as badly burned and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
MLC 2006 states:

A seafarer means any person who is employed or engaged or works in any capacity on board a ship to which this Convention applies;

And further:

1. Every seafarer has the right to a safe and secure workplace that complies with safety standards.
2. Every seafarer has a right to fair terms of employment.
3. Every seafarer has a right to decent working and living conditions on board ship.
4. Every seafarer has a right to health protection, medical care, welfare measures and other forms of social protection.

Perhaps by calling the Crew some fancy name the Flag State agrees that they are not Seafarers they can be employed on lesser terms than the Convention requires. Such an arrangement could lower costs and give a competitive advantage over other operators on the route.

My experience of the Ferry Company is that they are bloody good employers and sometimes I wish I could have gotten a job with them.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Try looking at your local council staff. Some of the job descriptions bear no relation to what they actually do.

·
Registered
779 Posts
In the care home my friend works in, she refers to the 'inmate/patients', as clients. Mind you, at £1400 a week, I think they should be 'executive clients'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In between jobs and really looking at semi retirement I helped a mate out in his business. Then someone head hunted me to be Plant Engr of a fairly large meat processing plant. Even though I had the job the HR dept hounded me for a CV They understood engineer maintenance fitter production manager etc, but wanted to know what my last job as a "Protein Capsule Transfer Technician entailed. Not impressed when I told them I was an egg collector

·
Registered
779 Posts
Many years ago, in the pub(as usual), Joe, an experienced AB, had been out of work for a spell. He explained that he phoned a supply boat company, but they asked for his CV. He didn't have one, so was snookered. He said "how can I give them my current vessel, when I don't have one".
When explained to him re CV etc., he got the job.
Sadly he drowned, a few years later, off one of their boats.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
In my last year at sea as S2/E on a tanker I suddenly discovered that I was no longer a Senior Second Engineer but had, somehow, become a "First Officer Engine." as entered into my discharge book. Good news! I was now an officer and not just an engineer, but I was an officer commanding three watch keeping "officers" and three P.O mechanics who replaced the normal three junior engineers after a whole three weeks training, and no ratings. I suspect that the reasoning behind that was give him a prestigious title and less resources for the same pay and he will be happy.

Didn't work for me. I was happy to be a marine engineer and I thought the whole system was PC crap! I wasn't sorry to head for shore. (Cloud)

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Could that have been rather like 'Superintendent'? In some way found lacking (perhaps wrecking) as an 'engineer' you were found a more appropriate niche. Were you still allowed the keys to Forty Knox?

·
Registered
258 Posts
For several years in my last job i was a pipeline operator, then the company made us salaried, overnight we became pipeline technicians.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After an extensive "Timber , Bristle and Blade" training course , every Friday afternoon the Electrical Apprentice would be temporary promoted to " Workshop Refuse Relocation Technician"

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anyone remember "Cabin Virgins" on Scandinavian ships ?
(Or was the Geordie Electrician on a Norwegian Tanker who came over to us for a few beers in Little Aden telling porkies ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts