Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching into the life of a local man, the late Owen John Williams, a mariner from the village of Abersoch, Llyn Peninsula, for the Maritime section of my website. I received this letter from his niece, along with a photograph of her uncle, taken when he was master on a vessel called the “Marco Polo” in 1960. Can anyone please shed some light to this amazing incident in the letter, and / or Vessel, plus the “Marco Polo”. Thank You. Boy that’s going to make some story!!! Regards to you all, Tony. (Thumb)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hello Tony,

An amazing story indeed.

Owen John Williams
Able Seaman on MS Baltic (Panama)

http://www.usmm.org/heroes.html

I think she may be the tanker MV Baltic. Built 1920. 8.800 tons
Panama transport Co. (Formerly Baltisch Amerikanisch Petroleum Co)
A subsidiary of Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey.

Source Talbot Booth Merchant Ships 1942.

Rgds

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!!

Many thanks for your help, and prompt reply Hugh, (your finger is as always, on the pulse!!!!) Regards Tony (Thumb)

·
Banned
510 Posts
The "Marco Polo" I know was medium sized passenger ship owned by Jardine Matheson
in the 1960's. Think they operated it cruising from Australia, through to E.Asian ports and also as a "ferry boat" between Hong Kong and Singapore.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Hong Kong "Marco Polo" was owned by Dominion Far East Line(50 % Jardines and 50% Dominion Navigation Co).
She was built in Brazil in 1962 as the "Princesa Isabella" for the Brazilian coastal passenger trade.
She was bought in 1969 by DFE Line (Hong Kong) and renamed "Marco Polo" and stayed in their service until sold to Greeks in 1978. Since the photo was taken in 1960, it seems that it was not this "Marco Polo" that he served on as Master.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marco Polo

If you look at the wheel house photo, the windows are angled back, I've never seen this type before, well not on a large vessel anyway. Looks more like a yacht or even some sort of work boat. The reflections on the windows at night must have been terrible. Many thanks to you all, Rg Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts