Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am to have Open Heart Surgery in the near future to replace my Aortic Valve. The operation itself does not worry me too much but I would like to hear from anyone who has had this type of operation and how they fared post operation.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had that op' about 5 years ago, and am now fine, the year after op' was a dark place for me needing plenty of mental and physical support from my partner (she). I think at 78 I'm OK for a good few years yet. best wishes Vic..

·
Registered
340 Posts
had a bye pass op 20 years ago worked for 10 years driving still fit as fiddle will be 83 in September regards graham

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Had a quadruple bypass eight years ago and am enjoying life ,seven months after the op I walked up Moel Fammau a mountain I played on as a child when I got to the top I cried my eyes out,but I was as happy as a pig in ****e and I still am apparently I was assured that many people shed a few tears after the opp ,stay positive and good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a quadruple bypass eight years ago and am enjoying life ,seven months after the op I walked up Moel Fammau a mountain I played on as a child when I got to the top I cried my eyes out,but I was as happy as a pig in ****e and I still am apparently I was assured that many people shed a few tears after the opp ,stay positive and good luck.
Good on you mate. I feel better already !

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Jep1916, had my quad bypass now 17 years ago , the first week in hospital was relatively OK with all the skilled help, support and sympathy surrounding you but the trauma came when my partner drive me home to Tauranga 200 km away from the hospital and a seemingly medical wilderness.
No problems though, my GP was right there and recovery was rapid aided by as much walking as I could manage and I was doing 4 km on the flat within 3 months.i guess that my heart is the least of my health worries now .

Bob

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had two cardiac arteries replaced as the third one was doing extra work. I thought a quadruple job was only done by American surgeons to show off. My operation was 21 years ago, so I'm out of warranty and doing fine. Just started cycling to work (on small ferries) mostly downhill, but with enough climbs to give me some exercise. Wife collects me and the bike after work. I shall be 80 next January.

·
Registered
285 Posts
jep1916, I had a double bypass several years ago. A fairly run of the mill procedure and very successful. Back to normal within a year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had my triple bye pass in 1996.....had a few stents put in since but still going strong. The procedure has advanced a lot since then,so I would not worry too much.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My brother - in - law spent years chronically ill with a heart disorde, taking daily drugs.

Two years ago, he had a an op whilst still conscious ! {t was something to do with widening an artery.

He is now fine, no more drugs !

Hope all goes well for you !

ATB

Laurie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Laurie
I think what you are talking about is Angioplasty, when they access the arterial system is usually via the femoral artery in the groin, also can be done in the arm.
That is usually done whilst you are awake. This is how they insert stents to improve flow...if it is too blocked for stenting then they send you for a bypass which is what I had

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
That's right Foca, they go in through your groin artery and use an iodine based fluid which highlights all the nooks and crannies in your vein system around the heart. Mine was done pre heart by-pass operation and it established that blockages were too great to open with stents.
You can lie there and watch the show on screen.
That was seventeen years ago and no bother since.

Bob

PS , I must be getting old, I posted only a week or two ago about four posts back!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had two cardiac arteries replaced as the third one was doing extra work. I thought a quadruple job was only done by American surgeons to show off. My operation was 21 years ago, so I'm out of warranty and doing fine. Just started cycling to work (on small ferries) mostly downhill, but with enough climbs to give me some exercise. Wife collects me and the bike after work. I shall be 80 next January.
P.S. Don't take any sh1t from the medics, although they can be unconsciously amusing when they patronise you. One French auxiliary told me to "Fais dodo" or "Go byebyes." I was stuck for a sufficiently infantile response.

·
Registered
567 Posts
After a major cardiac arrest 5 years ago and a death for at least 5 minutes I had a 7 yes seven bipass using a vein in my left leg. Whilst in hospital I picked up various bugs in my sternum which kept me in hospital for six weeks.
I had a few weeks of not much exercise but then got off my but and started walking. I go to the gym about three times per week for a half hour to do various exercises.
Asked my GP about having a whiskey in the evening and he suggested that prior to many drugs whiskey was suggested. As my time allotment was up I did not find out how many I could have!
By the way when I was dead I told the man in the white coat that I was not ready yet so he sent me back to hell on earth!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Had my op on 12th July. New Aortic valve and five by-passes (using four pieces of vein from my leg and the radial artery from my left arm). Six hours surgery. Feeling better every day - still get stopped in my tracks by lack of breath, which is scary, but less frequently now. Had a beer yesterday, so life is good!

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Your over the worst Steve, it should all improve from now on .
The medics set me on a regular walking regime, up and down my short drive to begin with and gradually increasing until I was managing 4 km after three months . It is the most gentle yet useful exercise and you feel you are in control.
Best regards. Bob

1 - 20 of 51 Posts