Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not strictly P&O but taken on board in 1978 when she was P&O by that time.Shots of her builders' plate,entwined Elizabethan logo,and forward and aft funnel/ventilator.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Liked her a lot.Did two Med cruises on her in 1978/79.Remember when she did her trials on the Clyde and have managed to gather trials pix one or two which have been already shown,not by me though.Always thought though that the original Orient Line livery was the best.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Simon: I really enjoyed "Simon's Story" re the Oriana. Thanks for supplying the reference to it AND the lostliners website. Kind regards, Doug H

·
Registered
763 Posts
Its was pity she was not scrapped back in 1986, when she was withdrawn from service. The external appearance may resemble the Oriana we remember but the Japs and Chinese certainly changed her internally. The Chinese writing along the hull certainly looks out of character as much as the orange lifeboats. I still have some unopened commenrative cans of Foster's Lager purchased on board when I was one of the last fare paying passengers to join her in Auckland for short dash across to Sydney in March 1986. It was only 3 nights and a lot of people didn't bother going to bed on the last night and spilled out on deck for her final arrival in Sydney and berthing at Pyrmont.

To quote the information on the commenrative cans......
Gross tonnage 41,915. Length 245.1 metres. Breadth 30.5 metres
730 cabins, 17 public rooms and 11 passenger decks
By her retirement Oriana will have steamed 3,430,902 nautical miles.
Her record day's run was 701 nautical miles at 29.21 knots.
Unquote

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Fairfield said:
Not strictly P&O but taken on board in 1978 when she was P&O by that time.Shots of her builders' plate,entwined Elizabethan logo,and forward and aft funnel/ventilator.
The Oriana's plaque shown in your middle picture Fairfield, was rescued from P&O's stores. Its refurbishement was paid for by former members of the crew of Oriana and at their request, now hangs in the Captain's lounge of the current Oriana

Fred

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that,Fred.I/m flad that it/s still in existence and in a proper place too.Always wondered about her fittings when she went to Japan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fairfield said:
Iwas in ORIANA for her first couple of years and again later. H M The Queen was most interested in the symbolism of the badge of the British built ship when she named the new ORIANA in 1995. Best wishes Nelson French

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Thanks Nelson. It does not suprise me that the Queen was interested in the plaque, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Just out of interest, Mike Carr kindly sent me a plaque of current Oriana after missing him when recently on board. But as he said, not so nice as the old one. David

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive got the oriana medal, from my time onboard,actually its from the club we had onboard, belonging to the R A O B, the oriana is inset into the medal, anybody know what it is worth, regards bosunjohnboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
The gold Oriana was the best

Fairfield said:
Liked her a lot.Did two Med cruises on her in 1978/79.Remember when she did her trials on the Clyde and have managed to gather trials pix one or two which have been already shown,not by me though.Always thought though that the original Orient Line livery was the best.
Sailed on Oriana when she was P&O Orient line ship, Was in engine room "Junior Engineer". The later white colour was insipid and took a lot away from her.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts