Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Apologies and a query.

Hi Roger.
I joined in Greenock, was on the trials, the shakedown cruise and the maiden voyage to NYC having transferred from the Franconia. Dave Wayne, Gord Fry and myself were sent on a teletype repair course in Brighton (ITT Creed) while the turbines were being repaired. It was at that point they decided to send a Creed tech out on the maiden voyage. Go figure.
I was the guy that taped your arm to the chair when you were sending traffic one day(sorry!).
The other lady P.O. teletype operator was called Sharron and worked alongside Jo.
The late Brian Beecham (thanks for the reminder Al) was the original C R/O and the late Don Butterworth his successor.
I'm pretty sure Declan O'Decktennis as he was known to some, was shot on the beach in the American Virgin Islands but may be wrong on that score. James J Neary replaced Dave when he left the ship.
Wondering if you or anyone reading this has pics of the radio room and or staff at that time. It's on my to-do list to sort through my slides at some point in my retirement years.

Cheers.
Much apologies for missing you out! I am sorry for the delayed apology but I only look at the posts at intervals! After 50 years ones memory is not perfect, whilst we remember some things others get forgotten and it take something to trigger the missing bits! Once you mentioned it I can now visualise you! Thanks for correcting me and supplying additional information. I still have my diary entries for the whole of my time at sea but sometimes detail is missing!

Did you find the radio room pictures? I have good pictures of the radio room taken in 1985 and created console diagrams from this. I have found one 1969 photo and created some console diagrams from this but would really like to find more 1969 photos.

I am wondering why you say Brian Beecham was the orignal C/RO as you know I did training with Don Butterworth and as far as I know was the first C/RO - or is my memory faulty again? I must check my diary sometime!

Regards Roger

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am wondering why you say Brian Beecham was the orignal C/RO as you know I did training with Don Butterworth and as far as I know was the first C/RO - or is my memory faulty again? I must check my diary sometime!

Regards Roger
Hello Roger, I did two trips to Calcutta with Don Butterworth as chief. They were on 'Mawana' - maiden voyage out of the Clyde 1958. He was an upright man with a heap of experience. Master was Capt Egglestone.

Harry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hello Roger, I did two trips to Calcutta with Don Butterworth as chief. They were on 'Mawana' - maiden voyage out of the Clyde 1958. He was an upright man with a heap of experience. Master was Capt Egglestone.

Harry
Hi Harry. I hope I did not confuse you with my comment. Yes I remember Don Butterworth well although it was only on QE2 but I did spend quite a bit of training time with him. I was sending a message to Clive123 as regards who was the original Chief RO on the QE2 when she came out. I sailed with Clive on the QE2 when she did her trials and maiden voyages. I remember that Don Butterworth was the Chief RO as I had done training with him in 1968. Clive said that Brian Beecham was the original Chief RO. That did not fit my memory and that was why the query. 50 years is a long time to remember clearly!
Regards Roger

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi Harry. I hope I did not confuse you with my comment. Yes I remember Don Butterworth well although it was only on QE2 but I did spend quite a bit of training time with him. I was sending a message to Clive123 as regards who was the original Chief RO on the QE2 when she came out. I sailed with Clive on the QE2 when she did her trials and maiden voyages. I remember that Don Butterworth was the Chief RO as I had done training with him in 1968. Clive said that Brian Beecham was the original Chief RO. That did not fit my memory and that was why the query. 50 years is a long time to remember clearly!
Regards Roger
Not at all, Roger - I was merely chipping into your conversation. Best wishes.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts