Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of what was termed the G2-Second Generation-container ships of about 50000grt built in the 1970s.
She and her sisters were all built in Hamburg for Overseas Containers and I can remember seeing CARDIGAN BAY and another one of them under construction.Now dwarfed by the new breed of giant containerships.
This was taken in Southampton in 1978.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,they looked good as did quite a lot of similar ships built then.Can/t say the same for these biggies of today!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Followed her down Southampton Water on one of the old Red Funnel ferries with camera in hand, never did catch up with her.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Bob S said:
Followed her down Southampton Water on one of the old Red Funnel ferries with camera in hand, never did catch up with her.
Yes they did move along a little whereas the old Red Funnel puffers probably managed a bit over twelve knots or so..but perhaps they are a bit faster now..long time since I travelled on the ferry by that route..happy days tho!!.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The first OCL were 28800 t a couple of friends of mine were in them Encounter,Botany,Flinders,Moreton,Jarvis Bay,one other I cannot remember

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
My brother worked on the Osaka Bay, Liverpool Bay, Cardigan bay and Tokyo Bay for many years, first for Blue funnel/OCL and then P+O.
Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sailed on the Cardigan, Osaka & Liverpool. All were originally steamers but were re-engined with 2 off 8RND90M sulzers. Good accommodation, excellent bars & built with teak decks aft of the accom block in the swimming pool area. Newer far easters were not as people friendly and lacked the character.

·
Registered
7 Posts
janblonde - the other was the Discovery Bay.
I had the 'pleasure' of sailing on the Flinders, Cardigan and Tokyo a good few years ago.
Apparently, before the Liverpool Bay class were re-engined (around 1980, although they kept the same shafting) they could do over 30kts. They were built like brick sh*t houses which is why they were able to run almost flat out right up until they were scrapped, although as duty engineer you spent a good portion of your night down below...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I sailed on them all except Cardigan Bay. Tokyo, Kowloon, Liverpool and Osaka Bay. I was withe Ocean from 1962 to 1987.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Twerp,

Did you know Dave Hooper, 2/E from Manchester? I sailed with him on Barber Blue Sea when he was getting motor time in for a return to the Bays after re-engining.

I heard that they were a complete nightmare following the conversion, the principal problem being that the engines were mounted at an angle to couple to the existing shafts. I remember one trip on the Barber Priam when we were arrested in New Orleans after a Bay boat had clipped a bulker when accelerating up (people told me it was akin to a power boat!) after exiting the Suez Canal.

Rgds.
Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts