Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Please if anybody knows the call sign of the Bibby Line troopship Oxfordshire built 1957.

Many thanks

Geoff Valentine
EX Bibby Line

REO

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Geoff, I thought I could answer this straight away but it turns I cannot. She is not in the 1963 ALRS despite being sold to Sitmar in 1964. Can't quite understand it. Don't think I have got any other book that can help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Geoff
The information I have circa 1963 is that the Oxfordshire in my records had the call sign GVLD. She is listed as being 11454 Tons with the official number 187155. Is she the Oxfordshire you were looking for ?
Regards
John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geoff, I thought I could answer this straight away but it turns I cannot. She is not in the 1963 ALRS despite being sold to Sitmar in 1964. Can't quite understand it. Don't think I have got any other book that can help.
Hi Tony

Thank you for looking - I firstly went to the oracle Willie - he managed the other vessels but not the Oxo.

Hope allok with you both in these terrible times.

Keep safe

Best wishes Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Geoff - My October 1963 List of Call Signs show GVLD as the FAIRSTAR. Wikipedia says the Oxfordshire was renamed Fairstar in 1964.

David

+

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Sorted it out. A matter of timing. Oxfordshire was chartered out and re-named Fairstar in February 1963 but was sold to Sitmar one year later. She must have operated under the British call sign in 1963 until sold and then converted to Liberian registration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Geoff
The information I have circa 1963 is that the Oxfordshire in my records had the call sign GVLD. She is listed as being 11454 Tons with the official number 187155. Is she the Oxfordshire you were looking for ?
Regards
John
Many thanks - I have the same number from Miramar web site.

Regards

Geoff Valentine
Bibby Line
REO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geoff - My October 1963 List of Call Signs show GVLD as the FAIRSTAR. Wikipedia says the Oxfordshire was renamed Fairstar in 1964.

David

+
David

Many thanks for your help - the trooping contract was bought out by the government and she became surplus so sold on.

Regards

Geoff Valentine
Bibby Line
REO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorted it out. A matter of timing. Oxfordshire was chartered out and re-named Fairstar in February 1963 but was sold to Sitmar one year later. She must have operated under the British call sign in 1963 until sold and then converted to Liberian registration.

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your help - I knew I should have kept a few of those old ships call sign books that I used to dispatch when a new one arrived,

Hope to see you all soon at an REO event.

Cheers

Geoff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts