Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what happened to the P&O Ferries St Clair and St Sunniva after P&O finished with the Orkney and Shetland services. (*))

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
I understand that they are both in Arabic service, which is somewhat ironic for a pair of Christian Saints. St Clair is now Barakat owned by Baaboud Trading & Shipping, who operate obscure services from Saudi to Sudan and other backwaters. St Sunivar is now Faye of Al Thuraya Marine operating from Iraq to UAE.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
I am sure that no members will be tempted to travel from Saudi to Sudan in the cause of ships' nostalgia. On the other hand if the reverse trip is the only way out, then it may be more attractive.

Fred

·
Registered
278 Posts
north boats

st clair st magnus st suniva st ron is it the early ones before the roll on roll off that are still sailing ?,these belonged to the north of scotland steam shipping co before ,p and o i might be wrong hope not

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I was on St.Sunniva when P&O took her on as 'n.f.Panther', on the Dover - Boulogne run 1979. One of the worst ships I had the misfortune to join, got off after 3 weeks & went back to sea.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I remember going for a holiday with my father in 1948 (I was 13 yrs. old) on the Orkney/Shetland steamers. St. Ninian, Aberdeen to Kirkwall then Lerwick. Then St. Rognvald round the smaller islands, unforgettable watching the locals swim cattle out to the ship behind a launch, then hoisting them on board with a bellyband. Home again from Lerwick by St. Clair. A visit to the engine room on St.Clair confirmed my future choice of career!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts