Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Are there any old Paddy Henderson loons out there ? I was a cadet on the Salween, in 1960, Kumba and Kabala in 60 to 62, on the 'coast' run, then double header to USA on Kabala. Paid off with broken back in Glasgow ne'er to return.

Anyone remember, Leathart, mate on Kumba, Grassick, Skipper, Jumbo Laird, 2nd mate, 'Jim Crowe' extra 3rd......... Wully Weir, fiver eng. Davey Wishart, Chief Steward, 'Rufus' the Sparky ?, cadets Brookes and Ted Smith,(Mista Smit ' and my poor self, Pete Ballan. The chippy was Davy Goulbourne, a cheerful scouser, cabin down by the galley door and exit to the alleyway, which caused him sleep deprivation from the jabbering outside.

On Salween, there was Patrick the Burmese cadet, 'Chic' Murray the senior cadet who had hairy legs ! Skipper was Capt.Marsh, an aloof God who was never seen by us mere mortals. 'Salween' was a lady of the sea, and left the Uganda for dead after Suez one night !
1st mate was Harry Toms, a person one could take a comfortable dislike to in an instant.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hi Peter,
You mentioned many crew in Kumba but not the Bosun..
Bill White of Northfleet was Bosun in her a few trips early 1960's..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Peter,
You mentioned many crew in Kumba but not the Bosun..
Bill White of Northfleet was Bosun in her a few trips early 1960's..
I don't remember Bill White on the Kumba. I thought we had a W.African Bosun, but could be wrong. There was often talk of a certain Ginger Aitkin, who had a beam bolt cannon on the bridge, and nearly took a chippy's head off with it once, as he was 'firing at a rat'. (Allegedly )
There were the 'pussa clacks', who looked after the cargo manifests, Elsie Demster lads to the core. One was one Adrian Robin Theodore Van Weegan, which we shortened to Wiggy. He was the but of many jokes from Ted Smith and Johnny Brookes. But then again, so was I eventually.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joined the Dalla on her's and my maiden trip. only "K" boat i was on was the Kindat
Ed Glover (ginger)
controlled drifting
But when were you on the Kindat ?

I see that you are now in Canada. Whereabouts ? I lived in Canada for many years, principally, Ottawa and Calgary. A fine country.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone remember Wully Hamilton, deck cadet,? I last saw him on a Yellow Peril, as skipper. Rather similar to Para Handy on the Vital Spark ! A nice chap.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hi Peter,
Bill White was a big lad and 6 feet 5 inches tall.
As you say there were West African crews on the 'K' boats.
Bill White was Assistant Shore Bosun for Elder Dempster and
for some reason he made about five consecutive trips in Kumba
during that time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
During my time with Elder Dempster' Pursers Dept I sailed on 6 Henderson ships.
Kindat 3/56 - 4/56 (Capt J Walker-Brown)
Kaladan 11/56 - 02/57 (Capt L G Hood)
Kaduna 04/57 - 06/57 (Capt J C Gibson)
Kohima 05/58 - 07/58 (Capt A Macleod)
Kentung 02/59 - 06/59 (Capt Rankin [I think])
Bhamo 07/59 - 08/60 (Capt J Walker-Brown) [4 consecutive voyages]

Some names I remember are Cadets "Wally" Wallbank, Roy Mullen and ArchieSmart (always signed tally notes as A Smart Cadet).

Adrian van Weegen was my Writer on Daru 04/62 - 06/62

·
Registered
153 Posts
sailed on Kindat prob end of 61 bebining of 62. I winter in Florida and summer in Windsor Ontario. will be back in Windsor mid March for a week will check my discharge book then as the old brain aint what it used tobe LOL
Ed Glover
Controlled drifting

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Some names I remember are Cadets "Wally" Wallbank,
"Wally" joined Mobil and after sailing as Master went ashore to work as Port Captain, Marine Rep.in Melbourne and Vetting Inspector.

I sailed with "Wally" on several occasions, when I was 2/O and he was Master. He was a pleasure to sail with. He was full of life and enjoyed a good joke, and never forgot his Yorkshire roots.

Sadly "Wally" passed away a few years ago. Rgds.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the update Pilot. So sorry to hear of Wally's death bur I'm afraid I'm getting to the age where so many of those I sailed with are no longer with us.
Regards

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roy Mullen

During my time with Elder Dempster' Pursers Dept I sailed on 6 Henderson ships.
Kindat 3/56 - 4/56 (Capt J Walker-Brown)
Kaladan 11/56 - 02/57 (Capt L G Hood)
Kaduna 04/57 - 06/57 (Capt J C Gibson)
Kohima 05/58 - 07/58 (Capt A Macleod)
Kentung 02/59 - 06/59 (Capt Rankin [I think])
Bhamo 07/59 - 08/60 (Capt J Walker-Brown) [4 consecutive voyages]

Some names I remember are Cadets "Wally" Wallbank, Roy Mullen and ArchieSmart (always signed tally notes as A Smart Cadet).

Adrian van Weegen was my Writer on Daru 04/62 - 06/62
Yes ! I remember Roy Mullen on the Kumba, I'm SURE. He was a neat, tidy li'l feller with a sardonic sense of the absurd. I have a photo of him having his hair cut on deck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes ! I remember Roy Mullen on the Kumba, I'm SURE. He was a neat, tidy li'l feller with a sardonic sense of the absurd. I have a photo of him having his hair cut on deck.
Also, old Van Weegan, I wonder what he is counting on his pads of paper now ? ! A good egg all the same !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bosun Bill White

At 6' 5" you could afford to be opinionated ! But no, it wasn't this guy. I am bloody sure I would remember him !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are there any old Paddy Henderson loons out there ? I was a cadet on the Salween, in 1960, Kumba and Kabala in 60 to 62, on the 'coast' run, then double header to USA on Kabala. Paid off with broken back in Glasgow ne'er to return.

Anyone remember, Leathart, mate on Kumba, Grassick, Skipper, Jumbo Laird, 2nd mate, 'Jim Crowe' extra 3rd......... Wully Weir, fiver eng. Davey Wishart, Chief Steward, 'Rufus' the Sparky ?, cadets Brookes and Ted Smith,(Mista Smit ' and my poor self, Pete Ballan. The chippy was Davy Goulbourne, a cheerful scouser, cabin down by the galley door and exit to the alleyway, which caused him sleep deprivation from the jabbering outside.

On Salween, there was Patrick the Burmese cadet, 'Chic' Murray the senior cadet who had hairy legs ! Skipper was Capt.Marsh, an aloof God who was never seen by us mere mortals. 'Salween' was a lady of the sea, and left the Uganda for dead after Suez one night !
1st mate was Harry Toms, a person one could take a comfortable dislike to in an instant.
This is Donald Gow. 1st ship was "Kentung" in 63-64 then the "Dalla" '64. I think Leathart was a Captain somewhere when I met him. Milmine was captain of the "Kentung". Cant remember who was Capt of the "Dalla" except that he was a short fat Englishman who played a pretty mean harmonica and wore his cap like a U-boat commander

·
Registered
153 Posts
roy mullen

sailed with roy and cant remember what ship, have a photo of him some ware going up creek.
ed glover

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever come across a "Salween" (or other Henderson ship) captain named Harold (Victor) Poole? - He was my grandfather, worked on shore in Liverpool / Birkenhead for Paddy Hendersons and died mid Fifties?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I sailed with Capt Grassick on the Degema in 1970, it was said he was the only gentleman to have come into Elders from Hendersons.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts