Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looking back over this thread, I noticed Capt J C Gibson mentioned.
I sailed with him on his last trip before retiring ( and it was my first trip on my own as R/O) on Daru in 1971/2. One week he queried my bar bill. I explained I'd had my birthday and put some cases on, to which he commented
' Be careful! Those b****ds will drink every penny you've got'.
How's that for sage advice?
I believe he retired ( with his charming lady wife) to somewhere down by the Tail of the Bank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am an ex Henderson loon joining in 1956 intrigated into Elders in 1964 thence Ocean Fleets until 1983. Henderson ships i served on were Kanbe, Koyan, Kohima (1952 ), Kentung, Kandaw, Kaduna. Kumba, Kabala, Salween, Dalla, Bhamo, Kohima (1958 ex Prahsu) Donga, Dumbaia. The last three although origionally to be Henderson ships were taken over by Elders on barebone charter from the builders. I did serve on many other ships of Elders, Ocean and Glen lines during my time at sea.

Kanbe

What about 'bring em back alive Kelly' Chief Steward
My Dad was Capain of the Kandaw at some point (Jim Morrison). For the nostalgic, I have inherited the ship's bell and it sitss on my balcony overlooking the Clyde. The Kandaw was built locally at Scotts and was sold to an Aussie firm in '67 and renamed "Honesty".

Water resources Liquid Waterway Boat Watercraft Photograph Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Ship

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started out as a engineer cadet with Paddy Henderson's and did my first trip to sea on the "Dumbaia" in 1964. Mostly crewed with Paddy's men apart from the Chief Engineer who was Eric Stubbs and the chippy and bosun who were Elders. The chief Steward that trip was Jimmy Cheshire and the captain was Sheridan who was Polish. The only Henderson ships I sailed on were the "Dumbaia" as cadet and "Dalla" as 2nd Engineer.

George T

·
Registered
56 Posts
During my time with Elder Dempster' Pursers Dept I sailed on 6 Henderson ships.
Kindat 3/56 - 4/56 (Capt J Walker-Brown)
Kaladan 11/56 - 02/57 (Capt L G Hood)
Kaduna 04/57 - 06/57 (Capt J C Gibson)
Kohima 05/58 - 07/58 (Capt A Macleod)
Kentung 02/59 - 06/59 (Capt Rankin [I think])
Bhamo 07/59 - 08/60 (Capt J Walker-Brown) [4 consecutive voyages]

Some names I remember are Cadets "Wally" Wallbank, Roy Mullen and ArchieSmart (always signed tally notes as A Smart Cadet).

Adrian van Weegen was my Writer on Daru 04/62 - 06/62
I was on the Kentung at the same time as you. That was a double header to the Med (Genoa & Marseilles) but I cant remember where we loaded after the Med . It was either the creeks and others or it was Sassandra and Abidjan. Something tells me that I am getting mixed up with another trip. I was the junior cadet that trip,

41 - 47 of 47 Posts