Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Come on guys lets get talking, love to hear from any old Palm people.
I was with Palm Line from around 74 till 83.
Once upon a time
Think this is me on Ilorin Palm 4th engineer around 1975
remembered2
Next shoreside in Lagos at an ex pats house,
Back radio officer???
Middle left to right
??????? Ray Inness 3rd eng, Me 3rd eng, Bob Stenhouse2nd eng ???????
Front ??????????
remembered1
Apapa Palm Engine CR, left to right
Ray Innes 3rd eng, 5th eng?????, electrician Cliff?????,Chief eng??????
Bob Stenhouse 2nd eng, Me 3rd eng.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was on the Ilorin Palm as well, joined her at Dublin on April 25th 1973, then about four ports on the continent before sailing down the West Coast of Africa. Paid off at Sunderland 23rd July. Can't say that it was the best trip I ever had (Rings of the song Sloop John B) But it was an experience, and one that I'll probably never forget. Regards Tony Jones, R867015.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have tried a few more trips Tony, Cause you only remember the good times but I remember many of them.
I would go back tomorrow if they still existed.
Scottie Dog

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tragic

Sorry Scottie, I should have explained myself a bit better, by bad I mean tragic (=|) . On the way round to the continent from Dublin, the Chippy fell down a ladder aft and done his leg in. Then one of the A.B’s broke his leg when putting the pilot ladder over at Rotterdam. Another two A.B’s jumped ship, they were replaced by three sailors off the International Pool, which were as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. The cook was a Nigerian, and was a championship boxer back home, and he should have stayed in the ring, instead of cooking on one. Down the West Coast at Cape Palmas when loading logs, a docker was crushed to death, and the same happened again in Rotterdam on the way home. I was struck down with malaria, and spent a week in my bunk, luckily for me I never suffered from it again. There wasn’t enough paint either, and everything was “touched up” and she looked like a patch work quilt when we arrived home. And to cap it all, the Mate was a wee man from Aberdeen, who thought that every body over five feet tall, was out to get him, he new as much about man management, as I know about breeding Polynesian Parrots. Yes Scottie, my memory serves me well, Tragic. Regards, Tony. (=|) :)X)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sad

Sorry That you had such a rough experience Tony as the saying goes "worse things happen at sea" but for so much in one trip?
Actually it reminded me of my first trip with Palm Line, first the Chief officer Ian Mclean practically ripped off his finger jumping out of a life boat his ring caught on the cleats.
Then shortly after an AB 19 years old fell down the hatch and broke his neck we had to bury him in Banjul.
All part of sea life I guess but non the less tragic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I quite agree with you Scottie, some trips turn out bad, and others are good. One happy memory of the Ilorin Palm, we played football against a Danish ship "Panama" East Asiatic Co, at Sapele, we were beaten about 10 - 0, but were invited back on board to celebrate, and I just can't remember getting back. All the best, Tony

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nicholson

Rhiw.com said:
Hi Scottie, Did you come across Ronnie Nickolson in Palm Line? He was an A.B. but sailed as Bosun as well, He was from Holyhead. and a real nice guy. I sailed with him quite a lot in the 1980's, on the Ferries. Regards Tony.
Tony
was he a short guy but stocky probably in his middle to late twenties around about 1976?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tragic

scottie dog said:
Hi tony
Think Ron was the Bosun on the Ibadan Palm the time the young AB was killed.
You are right Scottie, because he told me the story of the tragic incident. We seafarers never forget these sad things. Regards Tony.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time out

Just a note to say going back to sea for a while on DSVs (no not Doxford engines such a shame) back in a few weeks and most certainly pop back in on my return.
scotty Dog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ex Pats House Photo

Radio Officer is Les Holt, At the end in the gold shirt is Purser Alan ???
came from Liverpool but believe then moved to Cornwall, still have picture
of Apapa Palm on my office wall after twenty years

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Hi,
Although I never sailed on the Palm Boats.I watched several been built while working in the time office of Swan Hunters of Wallsend.Newcastle.my birth place.
Only today have I bought a book on the history of the Palm Line.If any info wanted let me know.
cheers.
shipmate17

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't help much with life at sea with Palm Line but from a small boy's perspective ashore in West Africa it was very glamorous and exciting.

When Dad first worked for Palm Line, they were still using surf boats in Accra (where I was born) and shifted some vast amount of cargo through them (? 300,000 tons a year).

Can remember Dad coming home on many occasions complaining bitterly that Elder Dempster had pinched a berth again, but funnily enough no comparable celebrations when the reverse happened, as it must have done.

Visits to the ships were always a highlight - Bamenda Palm was a great favourite of mine, but Capt Pugh's cabin always put the fear of God into my brother and I because he had a whip hanging up from Ikot Ekpene which had 2 knots at the end and was used as mental terror by my parents!

Lived in Accra, Takoradi, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Apapa and Ikoyi 1955 to mid 60s and fond memories of Derek Bell and Jack Raeburn and the to-be-mentioned-in-hushed-tones Mr Duncan and George Downie.

I think I've probably been on most of the ships in the Shaw Savill photo page and was last aboard Elmina Palm and Kano Palm one summer evening in the late 70's in Liverpool when a friend of mine, David Ellis, was an engineer in Kano Palm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To show how effects endured in the family, to the end of his life, anything Dad found good was "sweet past Takoradi Harbour extension". Back home in UK, for many years we never said "turn it off" or "switch it off", it was always "quench it". Nothing ever got broken but many times "de fine ting dun spoil" and Mum never served a meal but always "brought forth chop"!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts