Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello WallyH,
Joined her in Rio Grande in Brazil on 15/9/88 after a pretty hairy flight on a small mail plane watching mist covered mountains at what seemed like inches from the wing tips.
Payed off 3/12/88 in Singapore and didnt even get one last trip to the beer garden! I wonder if its still there?
Sorry it took so long to answer but my wife is seriously ill with cancer and not checked site for ages atb Herbie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Herbie

Sorry to hear that hope everything is OK now, if I remember rightly you were stood by me in TsingToa where we were loading Castor Oil and I managed to cover myself head to foot in the stuff changing a hose over, you would most probably remember me as Jack ah the memories, she was a good ship and a good crowd as long as you could stand the pace.

Wallyh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Wallyh,
Was that when I became PO Pumpman for the day so everyone else could go to see the Great Wall?
Think John Garbutt was pumpman, never did get me a beer for doing that for him!
Remember many names like Ronnie Anderson,Steve Maguire,Taff Walters, Frank Perin( best skipper I sailed with) Wonder what happened to them all as its been nearly 20 years! My brother in law lives in Napier having just moved from Hamilton.We looked at moving out there but sadly my wifes illness put a stop to that. Cheers Herbie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Herbie

yes that was right you were playing pumpman for the day while the rest swanned off to the Great Wall, Alan Rothery was the old man, think he is still with Wallems, the second mate is now with one of the big consultancies and I haven't a clue what happened to the third mate , Rob Gribben i think his name was.

Wally h

·
Registered
13 Posts
WallyH,
I thought Tsing Toa was beer! Have you got an itinery for that trip as cant remember half the places i went at sea.
My late Grandpa was RN from 1921-1946 and i have all his medals,all stars except the Pacific star and details of his ships, HMS Ark Royal,Ajax,Achilles etc. And i thought going up the Gulf was dangerous enough!
Hope you and yours are well
Herbie ( Paul)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If anyone's interested I've started going through my negatives and slides. Scanned a couple today, Post Challenger and Anco Empress pictures in the Gallery.
For all you 'rock dodgers' out there some of the Pass boats in Swansea prior to sale, probably the last pictures taken of them in Panocean guise, 23rd April 1984.

I have many more but will take time to find/scan/upload.

Regards,
Barry.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anco Stane, Stolt Stane, Iver Chaser and Anco Templar now added to gallery.

No more for awhile as back in work tomorrow and a lot more sorting and scanning to be done first.

Barry.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi all,
wasn't on any of Pan ocean boats but sailed with many who were,Billy (Whizz) evans, Stuart Evans-both finished with sea now.Ronnie (the rabbit) Anderson-BP Coasters, Eddie Jones-Campbell Maritime.All good lads and brilliant seamen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Kev, Sailed with the Rabbit and havent seen him for 20 years, me him and Taff Walters went to Rotterdam on holiday in about 85, great times never to be bettered! Bob Dewsbury,Mick Quinn,Kev Barlow all good lads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya Willie Mac I sailed with Panocean Anco (formerly Athel Line) in the 70`s on Anco Empress Anco Sovereign Anco Princess Anco Stane

·
Registered
5 Posts
PanoceanAnco ships

Hi all,
It's good to see there's quite a following here after so many years of silence on PanoceanAnco ships of the 70's.
I too sailed on various Post/Anco ships, as a Redifon R/O, finally settling for the Pass of Balmaha when the first nipper came along and then gave up to go shore-side with the sinking Wandsworth radio company.
Wish I'd stayed at sea a few more years and taken more pictures with a better camera.....
Stuck some memories on a website for anyone interested (www.merchantnavy.btinternet.co.uk) - grainy pictures and the odd crew list for the period 1975 to 1978 ish.

Now passing away the days on a narrowboat "Balmaha", had to paint it green cos the missus wouldn't agree to orange.

Mo

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Mo Many thanks for all the pictures especially of the Balmaha. My favourite ship of all time.Was on her from 27 2 80 until 26 9 83. Champion also
brings back happy memories. Served on her as the Post Champion, Anco Champion and Iver Champion.Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Best wishes,
bert.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.
Barry,
That incident with Big Bob Dewsbury happenned a day after I joined in Oporto.
I had been 10 days stuck in a hotel with JD and his Wife (Nancy?) and another Operator who's name escapes me.
Never saw Bob again, great lad who was AB on my very first trip to sea on the Empress in 1974. Looked out for me that trip and his sense of humour was something that I will always keep with me.
Regards, Jasper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi folks,

Came acroos this site when researching past ships, served with Panocean from 1974 until 1979. Don't recognise any names, but it was a while ago. What I do know was that I was 4th Mate of the Athelqueen when the bosun, who I presume was Bob Dewsbury, was overcome in the tank. That was my last trip with Panocean Anco, as it became, hope Bob made a full recovery.
Not sure if anybody remembers me, full name Malcolm Murray.

Malcolm

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Malcolm

Don't remember you but it was a long time ago. As for Bob he was taken to hospital but returned before we sailed. After a couple of days he was his usual self.

Barry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info about Bob. I do remember him returning to the ship. I check my book and I think the next port after was Hamburg and I paid off there.

Malcolm

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Malcolm

Yes Hamburg was the next port. I stayed on for a second trip when most of you paid off there.
Prior to Portugal we'd been up to the Gulf which came as a bit of a shock after our regular St. Croix - New York run.

Barry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few blasts from the past:

Capt Terry(?) Luke... old school and professional
Capt Edward (Piggy?) Grant... the total opposite
Duncan... a BIG scots AB/bosun(?) who looked just like Hagrid from H.Potter

... and then there was Ray (speedy Gonzales) the little rotund, older, Argentinian(?) permanent 3rd officer ops (or maybe 4oo uncertified ?).

41 - 60 of 141 Posts