Ships Nostalgia banner
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Stan,

Hope all is well. I think it was about 7/8 years since we emailed each other.

I still recall you as one of he most laid back (and professional) 2nd Off. Ops I sailed with. You enjoyed catching those rays!

Steve Devan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pan Ocean

Would like to hear from any other ex-Panocean shipmates surfing on this site.

Willie Mac
Hi Willie, I was on the Post Champion in 1976, deck dept, AB, joined in Eastham, birkenhead. sailed far east, seoul, Kobe, Yokohama, Chiba, Kimba (borneo), Sandakaan, (Indonesia), gulf, Medi and home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steve!

Hi Stan,

Hope all is well. I think it was about 7/8 years since we emailed each other.

I still recall you as one of he most laid back (and professional) 2nd Off. Ops I sailed with. You enjoyed catching those rays!

Steve Devan
Ahoy! glad to know you are still around!!
In Vancouver now but still messing around with chemical tankers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
For anybody that remembers me my first book entitled "Peanut" has just been published via Authorhouse.
Anybody that does remember me, or would like to purchase a signed copy please private message me and I will sort a copy out for you.
I have many more stories in my locker and would love to start on a sequel (This book only covers up to 1975).
John Dawson...... Yes, certainly remember you. Bluebell was Robertson Baff. Remember Steve and Ted well in the galley with you (Didn't we Christen Ted "Candy" or something like that?)
Ted Rogowski also, so many names and now a lifetime away.

Please visit www.jcecil-peanut.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello Roy,
My name is Bob Wright and I did a couple of trips on Panocean. My friend Ted Rogowski remembers you and wonders if you know the whereabouts of a steward named John Parsons? He was such an entertaining character.
Say Hi to Ted for me.

John Parsons was one of a kind. No idea where he is now, he used to live in a mobile home in Rushden just down the road from me.
Remember paying off The Sovereign in 1982 in Houston three days before Xmas and he had his trusty piano accordion in his hand luggage. Had the whole aircraft singing Christmas carols over the Atlantic. (I'm pretty sure you'd get arrested these days).
Great memories, just one of thousands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your dad

Hi

My name is Anna Redmond, I am researching for a book about my dad Fred (Frederick William McKechnie) Redmond and what he was doing at the time I was born in February, 1982.

So far I know that he was working as a Marine Superintendent for Panocean Anco on a ship in dry-dock (possibly the Anco Stane) in Yokahama, Japan.

If you know anything about Dad or what ship was in dry-dock at that time please let me know, especially if you knew him or worked with him personally (or know someone who did).

Thanks, Anna[/QUOTE

Hi Ann, I sailed with your father on the Post Enterprise in 1976 he was chief engineer and I was a seaman but I do remember him well. good luck with your book.]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Anna,
I was on the Anco Stane in dry dock/repair alongside in Yokohama, I paid off 16/03/82. So I can confirm the ship. I was the 1OT or 2nd Engineer, from memory most of the work was deck based and I spent most of my time overhauling the geny engines and checking the dockyard doing the boiler surveys. I certainly remember your fathers name but I am struggling to remember much else, getting old, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys are bringing a tear to the corner of my eye. Nostalgia! What better times than a young man, tanned and abroad, with money in his pocket and good friends to help him drink it with.
Singapore, Colombo, Yokohama, Melbourne, Wellington, Iran (Athel Queen late 70's), Virgin Islands (Yep! Happened to me there), Iraq (Sorry! Army), well you've all been there.
I was once told by an 'old and bold' who had rejoined Panocean, that all he ever dreamed of was being at sea, and so he came back, and he told me that I would walk in his shoes as well. "Not me", I thought, but after all the storms, and all the wars, ( Army again...sorry!), being on board the Athel Queen on my first trip is my best memory.
I joined in Baltimore, and we were on a regular round trip to St, Croix in the American Virgin Islands, and although that nice young lady who took care of 'cherry boy', no longer fills my dreams, I find that I have never been happier than at that moment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
richard cox

Hi

My name is Anna Redmond, I am researching for a book about my dad Fred (Frederick William McKechnie) Redmond and what he was doing at the time I was born in February, 1982.

So far I know that he was working as a Marine Superintendent for Panocean Anco on a ship in dry-dock (possibly the Anco Stane) in Yokahama, Japan.

If you know anything about Dad or what ship was in dry-dock at that time please let me know, especially if you knew him or worked with him personally (or know someone who did).

Thanks, Anna
Hi Anna, I sailed with your father on Post Chaser, when I was the Mate, Tony Froggatt was Captain. This in 1974? I knew Fred very well as I did many drydocks with him. Up to about 1999. Get in touch if you want to talk abt him, he was my boss, but I also counted him as a friend. I spent a few years sailing on Russian ships, And your father was superintendent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Stan

That' good news!

We reckon the ship was in drydock between 11th January and 8th March 1982 but I can give you more exact dates at the weekend if you want to hold on till then.

Anna
Hi Anna,

Sailed with your Dad on the Enterprise or maybe the Chaser. He was the Chief Engineer and I was the Lecky.

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
Just joined the site and already seeing names i remember. I haven't talked of you, Bert Thompson, for many years but as soon as i saw your name your face came straight back in my memory. Dry, sarcastic and charming as i remember. I left the sea in 1986, last ship was Sceptre. Found my way into the marine service industry and for the last eleven years I've been running my own ship repair brokerage, Marine Marketing International. It's good to remember faces i haven't seen in thirty years or more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Mick
Good to here from you, I also finished in 86 , but went back to sea after a couple of years.Panocean Anco sticks in my memory for all good reasons, good ships great people and memories?
I think John Webster was CPO acouple of times with you agreat bloke.
I also have memories of you playing songs over the tannoy at midday , I'm a lumberjack sticks in my mind to this day.
Hope I am on the right track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
was on post enterprise in 70s

I was on Post Enterprise in 70s just looking surfing come across this thought I would say hi was not at sea long just few years came home to look after dad then mum did HGV for a while was on Enterprise for about year 76 77 then went to Palm Line was interesting time at sea. Transitioned 16 years ago as Jane nurse now but still remember that time.Years roll by came across this site by accident very interesting.Take care Happy New Year

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Came across this site while surfing and it's really great to see some familiar names down the years. I joined Panacean as a deck cadet in 75 serving on many of the ships until 84 when I left to do a year with Jardines as Chief Officer.
Just finished 28 years in the Fire service and now retired.
Definitely some of the best years of my life spent at sea.
Be great to hear from anyone that remembers me.
Cheers
Martin Farmer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jasper, I remember you very well, lad from Kettering, huge Genesis fan and friend of one Gary Bohanna. I did two trips with you if memory serves me properly; the Anco Princess in 1980 and the Anco Endeavour later on that year and on into 1981. I was P.O.Cook on those ships my name is John Dawson. Some of the names that spring most readily to mind are big Steve Maguire, Ted McLeod the cook, the inimitable Bluebell (I think his real name was Rob) and your next door neighbour from Corby, Chris Hamlet (was that guy ever sober?). We did the Med on the princess and the far east on the Endeavour, hard working ships but happy. My last voyage was on the Charger during the war in the Falklands. After that I went back to college, on to university and I am now a primary school teacher, bit of a change eh, but I love it. Hope you're well, look forward to hearing from you.
Hello, I'm looking for any information about my uncle Robertson Baff, aka Bluebell, I believe! He died in 1998 and I never met him. He seems to have been a bit of a character though and in later life was a drag artiste. If anyone has any memories they would like to share I would be pleased to receive them. Many thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anybody that remembers me my first book entitled "Peanut" has just been published via Authorhouse.
Anybody that does remember me, or would like to purchase a signed copy please private message me and I will sort a copy out for you.
I have many more stories in my locker and would love to start on a sequel (This book only covers up to 1975).
John Dawson...... Yes, certainly remember you. Bluebell was Robertson Baff. Remember Steve and Ted well in the galley with you (Didn't we Christen Ted "Candy" or something like that?)
Ted Rogowski also, so many names and now a lifetime away.

Please visit www.jcecil-peanut.com
Again any information about my uncle Robertson Baff gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I sailed with "Bluebell" a couple of times in the 80's, Rob.
I'm sorry to hear that he passed away although by 1998 he would probably have been in his mid-seventies.
By the time I sailed with him all of his sea going "escapades" were long behind him and I believe the "Bluebell" tag came from his participation in the Royal Navy and a chorus girl kind of show that he would have been part of during the 40's and 50's (although I'm guessing).
A very likeable man that was always chatty and polite as well as humorous.
Others within Pan-Ocean would have known him better than me and I will ask about to see what information I can get for you.
Kind regards. John.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts