121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A few blasts from the past:

Capt Terry(?) Luke... old school and professional
Capt Edward (Piggy?) Grant... the total opposite
Duncan... a BIG scots AB/bosun(?) who looked just like Hagrid from H.Potter

... and then there was Ray (speedy Gonzales) the little rotund, older, Argentinian(?) permanent 3rd officer ops (or maybe 4oo uncertified ?).
I wonder if you mean Duncan Robertson? Ended up Chief Mate in Rowbotham.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barry,
That incident with Big Bob Dewsbury happenned a day after I joined in Oporto.
I had been 10 days stuck in a hotel with JD and his Wife (Nancy?) and another Operator who's name escapes me.
Never saw Bob again, great lad who was AB on my very first trip to sea on the Empress in 1974. Looked out for me that trip and his sense of humour was something that I will always keep with me.
Regards, Jasper.
Hi
I just came across this site recently. I was the Mate on Athelqueen when you joind in Oporto and I remember taking the lifeboat in from the anchorage to pick you up or drop someone off? Also remember well the incident with Bob Dewsbury which fortunately had a good ending. Hope all is well with you
Regards
Graeme Wilson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks,

Came acroos this site when researching past ships, served with Panocean from 1974 until 1979. Don't recognise any names, but it was a while ago. What I do know was that I was 4th Mate of the Athelqueen when the bosun, who I presume was Bob Dewsbury, was overcome in the tank. That was my last trip with Panocean Anco, as it became, hope Bob made a full recovery.
Not sure if anybody remembers me, full name Malcolm Murray.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm Like you I only recently found this site. I do remember you. Hope all is well with you.
Regards
Graeme Wilson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All
I was Second Mate on Post Endeavour, Anco Soveriegn and Anco Stane 1976 to 1978 and then Mate on Anco Sceptre, Athelmonarch, Athelqueen and Anco Challenger 1978 to 1980. I went ashore in NZ and drove tugs for a short time and then shifted to Australia and have been piloting for the last 30+ years!
Its great to read some of the posts and it certainly brings back lots of very happy memories.
Kind Regards
Graeme Wilson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Malcolm

Yes Hamburg was the next port. I stayed on for a second trip when most of you paid off there.
Prior to Portugal we'd been up to the Gulf which came as a bit of a shock after our regular St. Croix - New York run.

Barry.
Hi Barry
You and I must have sailed together on the Athelqueen?
I did the trips to Iran and then loading at Lavan Island and also the trip to an SBM in Libya somewhere and the Portugal loading to Europe.
Regards
Graeme Wilson

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Graeme,
Think I vaguely remember the name.
You might like to look on facebook for our page. (Panocean-Anco people, pumpmen and p*ssheads)
Lots of memories and old faces on there.
Very pleased to hear from you and that you had a successful career.
Regards,
Jasper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Barry
I did the trips to Iran and then loading at Lavan Island and also the trip to an SBM in Libya somewhere and the Portugal loading to Europe.
Regards
Graeme Wilson
Hi Graeme
I remember you from that trip, one of the best I did, good times.
Regards,
Barry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Came across this site while surfing and it's really great to see some familiar names down the years. I joined Panacean as a deck cadet in 75 serving on many of the ships until 84 when I left to do a year with Jardines as Chief Officer.
Just finished 28 years in the Fire service and now retired.
Definitely some of the best years of my life spent at sea.
Be great to hear from anyone that remembers me.
Cheers
Martin Farmer
Hi Martin,

Of course, I remember you. In fact I tried to contact you a few years back, but I had no luck!

Hope you are having a great retirement. Get in touch if you read this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Barry

I sailed with you on the Athel Queen sailing out of St Croix to the states,
i was on deck with Ronnie Skeplorn as CPO[a job i went on to do,Davey Dalton

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Barry
Regards
Graeme Wilson
Hi Graeme I think we loaded condensate at Zuitina and had a spill because the loading master aka Agent aka pilot was hanging up his boiler suit to dry in the engine room and he was the only one with a radio who could tell the shore to stop.
Bill Saarsteiner

·
Registered
7 Posts
I worked for panocean from 73 to 76.
sailed on Post Rover,Post Runner,Post Charger,Post Ranger as 4th engineer.
There was a Willie on Post Rover in 73.Was he you?
John Cannon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined Athel line as engineer cadet in '71. Sailed on many of the ships mentioned . First ship Athelcrown in Panama. Sailed on most of the Anco fleet. Including maiden voyage of Athel Monarch out of the St Lawrence in Canada. Seconded to Swire Pacific for 2 years in the 80s.
Big hello to any out there who might have sailed with me through those years.
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

My name is Anna Redmond, I am researching for a book about my dad Fred (Frederick William McKechnie) Redmond and what he was doing at the time I was born in February, 1982.

So far I know that he was working as a Marine Superintendent for Panocean Anco on a ship in dry-dock (possibly the Anco Stane) in Yokahama, Japan.

If you know anything about Dad or what ship was in dry-dock at that time please let me know, especially if you knew him or worked with him personally (or know someone who did).

Thanks, Anna
HI Anna,

Maybe a bit late, but certainly remember Fred - known as “Fred the Red” only sailed with him briefly but met him at other times including a long docking in Yokohama, Japan - which I think was the Charger if recall correctly.

Rgds Derek Walford

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed with "Bluebell" a couple of times in the 80's, Rob.
I'm sorry to hear that he passed away although by 1998 he would probably have been in his mid-seventies.
By the time I sailed with him all of his sea going "escapades" were long behind him and I believe the "Bluebell" tag came from his participation in the Royal Navy and a chorus girl kind of show that he would have been part of during the 40's and 50's (although I'm guessing).
A very likeable man that was always chatty and polite as well as humorous.
Others within Pan-Ocean would have known him better than me and I will ask about to see what information I can get for you.
Kind regards. John.
Hello, I'm looking for any information about my uncle Robertson Baff, aka Bluebell, I believe! He died in 1998 and I never met him. He seems to have been a bit of a character though and in later life was a drag artiste. If anyone has any memories they would like to share I would be pleased to receive them. Many thanks.
Hi - sailed with Bluebell, my wife used to have afternoon tea with him on the deck outside our cabin. If recall correctly the nickname came from when he used to dress up in drag as one of the “Bluebell” dance troupe girls - he showed us a photo of himself in the full outfit.
Regards
Derek Walford

·
Registered
1 Posts
Derek Walford, were you on the Sovereign 77/78 ? Ole man was Dennis Billing and Chief Graham Hargreaves ? I was RO paid off early 78 in Brazil and got home with a few days to spare for my wedding !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks for sharing your memory! Through the kindness of some of Bluebell's contemporaries I now know so much more about him than I ever thought possible. I have even seen pictures of him so thank you for your time. It means a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sovereign

Derek Walford, were you on the Sovereign 77/78 ? Ole man was Dennis Billing and Chief Graham Hargreaves ? I was RO paid off early 78 in Brazil and got home with a few days to spare for my wedding !
Hi, no I was not there that trip - think a year or two later (will have to dig out my discharge book). Rgds Derek

·
Registered
1 Posts
Willie
I served as R/O with Panocean from August 1977 till April 1987.
Served on the following even with the name changes.
Post Champion Pass of Brander Anco Charger Post Challenger Anco Champion Pass of Balmaha Chelsea Pioneer Anco Chaser Stolt Stane Stolt Templar Aquamaster Iver Chaser Iver Champion.
Just realised that I started and finished with the Champion but had twelve discharges from the Balmaha my favourite ship of all time.
Regards
Bert
If you're the Bert Thompson I think you are, you used to live in South Shields and I sailed with you more than once. You had a trainee RO named Carol on at least one of the trips we sailed together.

Not being in possession of my Discharge Book, but being in possession of a bad memory nowadays, I cannot remember which ships other than the POST/ANCO CHAMPION. I did sail a few trips on the Pass of Balmaha too. Many of the ships you mention above I have sailed on too but not necessarily with you.

Anyway, I just thought I'd show my face.

Frank

121 - 140 of 154 Posts