Ships Nostalgia banner
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Denise, It was before I joined the company but there should be people who can help.Its a long time ago but I think it was gas in the bottom of the tank. Only just remember so sorry if I am mixed up!
A crew member opened the slop tank as they were tank cleaning after cargo of tallow. He slipped, broke his leg, others went down fast to try and get him up as he was in danger of drowning, having passed out below. They all passed out, including my father, Chief Officer Edmond Lyons (not John).
7 men died that day: Sean Nolan from Waterford, my father Edmond Lyons, Cork and Liverpool, plus 5 Malaysian crew, including the original man they went to save.
As Dad went down the men around the top saw rthe others passing out below and tried to grab Dad to pull him back. They all suffocated or drowned.
Update: a person who served with Dad told me his brother was onboard as a Cadet at the time and the tallow balls (part of the tank cleaning process) broke apart, the freshly exposed surface essentially sucking the oxygen out of the tank.
July 13th 1978. RIP.

·
Registered
Athelmonarch, Anco Stane, Anco Templar, Anco Empress, Anco Chaser, Anco Enterprise
8 Posts
Joined Athel line as engineer cadet in '71. Sailed on many of the ships mentioned . First ship Athelcrown in Panama. Sailed on most of the Anco fleet. Including maiden voyage of Athel Monarch out of the St Lawrence in Canada. Seconded to Swire Pacific for 2 years in the 80s.
Big hello to any out there who might have sailed with me through those years.
John
Cheers John,

Thinking back to my first trip Engineer Cadet with you on the Athelmonarch. I joined in Hamburg (August?).
Some years(?) later, we almost met up (across an anchorage?), in the Far East, you were on a sistership.

I left Panocean in July 1983, with Redundancy as they closed down.

Bob

·
Registered
Athelmonarch, Anco Stane, Anco Templar, Anco Empress, Anco Chaser, Anco Enterprise
8 Posts
Athelmonarch in Augusta, Sicily Dec(?) 1977. Seen from the launch heading ashore to see Mt. Etna.
Boat Watercraft Water Sky Naval architecture

an active Mt Etna
Sky Slope Rectangle Tints and shades Landscape

·
Registered
8 Posts
Early 1983 Anco Empress in The Falklands. Carrying a full load of fresh water from Southampton. Not an easy time, we spent our days in the Sound at Port Stanley, but owing to a threat of frogman attack overnight we went out into the ocean in Dead Slow circles.
We organised a football team to go ashore to play a Royal Navy XI. The playing field was next to Governor’s House. Definitely a good day out was had by all, despite being thumped 5:0, semi-pros we thought. Note how the oposition turned up in a couple of helicopters
En route we had to cross the RFA St Tristram, which had been salvaged after being bombed with the St. Galahad in Bluff Cove RIP.

Sky Cloud Vehicle Gas Crane
Sky Cloud Water Aircraft Helicopter
Sky Window Shorts Plant Tree
Water Cloud Sky Plant Grass
Sky Cloud Vehicle Gas Crane

Sky Cloud Water Aircraft Helicopter

Sky Window Shorts Plant Tree

Water Cloud Sky Plant Grass

·
Registered
8 Posts
A crew member opened the slop tank as they were tank cleaning after cargo of tallow. He slipped, broke his leg, others went down fast to try and get him up as he was in danger of drowning, having passed out below. They all passed out, including my father, Chief Officer Edmond Lyons (not John).
7 men died that day: Sean Nolan from Waterford, my father Edmond Lyons, Cork and Liverpool, plus 5 Malaysian crew, including the original man they went to save.
As Dad went down the men around the top saw rthe others passing out below and tried to grab Dad to pull him back. They all suffocated or drowned.
Update: a person who served with Dad told me his brother was onboard as a Cadet at the time and the tallow balls (part of the tank cleaning process) broke apart, the freshly exposed surface essentially sucking the oxygen out of the tank.
July 13th 1978. RIP.
I was a Cadet at sea on the Stane when this happened. Reading your account took me back to that sad day. RIP.

A few years later I was again on the Stane in dry dock in Yokohama. Working in the engine room when the General Alarm went off for a fire in one of the cargo tanks. I grabbed a BA set, accompanied by another? and ran up to the tank top with smoke billowing out of it. Our Superintendent was there, and told us to stop.. 6 members of the dockyard fire team had rushed into the tank, protected by nothing more than a tiny mouth/nose mask. No-one up top marking them in etc. they all eventually emerged. An incident like that brought it home how professional we were, partly from lessons learnt.
It transpired a dockyard crew were cutting out a cargo line with burning gear. Remnants of the previous cargo of Styrene was soaked into the corroded pipe, and had avoided the tank cleaning. No great flames, but a lot of acrid smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
going for a walk in the bottom of the dry dock certainly gives effect of scale 😊
Material property Tints and shades Magenta Automotive lighting Rectangle

Boat Watercraft Sky Naval architecture Vehicle

Musical instrument Musician Artist Font Music

Des-res view from my Yokohama hotel room, whilst in dry dock
Sky Building Cloud Window Residential area

Sky Building Cloud Window Residential area
Material property Tints and shades Magenta Automotive lighting Rectangle
Musical instrument Musician Artist Font Music
Boat Watercraft Sky Naval architecture Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi To all on this thread.

Well joined Panocean in 1973 with my first trip on Post Chaser from the builders followed by many voyages between then and 1987.

Post Chaser December 73 to May 74
Post Champion June 74 to November 74
Post Endeavour February 75 to June 75
Post Enterprise July 75 to December 75
Post Challenger January 76 to June 76
Post Challenger August 76 to January 77
Post Challenger April 77 to October 77
Post Enterprise December 77 to Feb 78
Anco Endeavour May 78 to September 78
Anco Stane November 78 to March 79
Athelqueen April 79 to February 80 (2 trips back to back great ship & crew!)
Anco Sovereign May 80 to October 80
Anco Charger November 80 to April 81
Anco Empress June 81 to November 81
Chelsea Pioneer December 81
Anco Empress March 82 to August 82
Anco Stane January 83 to June 83
Anco Endeavour September 83 to January 84
Stolt Stane May 84 to October 84
Aquamaster March 85 to July 85
Berlin August 85
Aquamaster November 85 to May 86
Iver Champion August 86 to January 87

Left the Champion in drydock Singapore after they replaced us with foreign crew.
Said 'We'll ring you as soon as we have something for you". 19 years later and I'm still waiting for the bl**dy phone to ring! Still.....you never know.

Barry.
I was on the Enterprise as a senior operator (AB) with you in 1975 Joined in Liverpool and paid off in Rotterdam according to my discharge book.
No idea where we went on the trip but it must have included the States and Far East. Was this the trip that had the burning barges coming down the Mississippi?
Got some photos of an onboard drag talent show by the crew.... well the ones inclined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi To all on this thread.

Well joined Panocean in 1973 with my first trip on Post Chaser from the builders followed by many voyages between then and 1987.

Post Chaser December 73 to May 74
Post Champion June 74 to November 74
Post Endeavour February 75 to June 75
Post Enterprise July 75 to December 75
Post Challenger January 76 to June 76
Post Challenger August 76 to January 77
Post Challenger April 77 to October 77
Post Enterprise December 77 to Feb 78
Anco Endeavour May 78 to September 78
Anco Stane November 78 to March 79
Athelqueen April 79 to February 80 (2 trips back to back great ship & crew!)
Anco Sovereign May 80 to October 80
Anco Charger November 80 to April 81
Anco Empress June 81 to November 81
Chelsea Pioneer December 81
Anco Empress March 82 to August 82
Anco Stane January 83 to June 83
Anco Endeavour September 83 to January 84
Stolt Stane May 84 to October 84
Aquamaster March 85 to July 85
Berlin August 85
Aquamaster November 85 to May 86
Iver Champion August 86 to January 87

Left the Champion in drydock Singapore after they replaced us with foreign crew.
Said 'We'll ring you as soon as we have something for you". 19 years later and I'm still waiting for the bl**dy phone to ring! Still.....you never know.

Barry.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was on the Enterprise as a senior operator (AB) with you in 1975 Joined in Liverpool and paid off in Rotterdam according to my discharge book.
No idea where we went on the trip but it must have included the States and Far East. Was this the trip that had the burning barges coming down the Mississippi?
Got some photos of an onboard drag talent show by the crew.... well the ones inclined.
Hello John remember you and the 'Talent Show'. Seem to recall I got roped into that withh several other lads by the Ch. Engineers wife lol. I didn't win but guess my beard may have had something to do with that :LOL:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello John remember you and the 'Talent Show'. Seem to recall I got roped into that withh several other lads by the Ch. Engineers wife lol. I didn't win but guess my beard may have had something to do with that :LOL:
List of ports:

M.V. POST ENTERPRISE 12.07.1975 ~ 08.12.75
EASTHAM, MERSEYSIDE
PURFLEET, ESSEX
BRUNSBUTTEL, GERMANY
HAMBURG, GERMANY

EUROPORT, ROTTERDAM, HOLLAND
TEESPORT, NR. MIDDLESBROUGH
NEW YORK, U.S.A.
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, U.S.A.
HOUSTON, TEXAS, U.S.A.
TEXAS CITY, TEXAS, U.S.A.