Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Passenger Services to Halifax Nova Scotia

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to find out the identity of a vessel that took a U.K. emigrant to Halifax, Nova Scotia approximately six weeks after the Titanic was lost on Sunday 14th April 1912. The emigrant was Annie Jane Day; she was 19 years old and travelling alone. This indicates Annie Jane Day’s departure date as, approx. 26th May 1912.

I’m wondering if anyone reading this knows which shipping/passenger lines were operating from U.K. ports to Halifax at this time. Was the service to Halifax, from a particular port, by only one company? That would be helpful.

If this can be ascertained, then any guidance of how to progress this search for the ship and passenger will be most welcome.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Regards

Clem

·
Banned
25 Posts
Clem:
George Warren's White Diamond Steam Ship Company (Warren Line) carried passengers to Halifax at that time and Furness Withy acquired a controlling interest in 1912. Under Furness, successor names were the Warren, Johnston Warren and Furness Warren Lines.
I believe the Anchor Line also sailed to Halifax until World War l.

Bruce C

Another possible source of information:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-908.003-e.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Bruce, I'll check out the website to see it can help.

Regards

Clem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Annie Jane Day

Clem,
if you have access to microfilm of the London "Times" for that date you could check the ''home sailings'' area in the ''mail and shipping intelligence'' section. That would list ships departing and would give the destination. The National Archives in the UK has a collection of ''outgoing passenger'' do***ents which are currently being digitised and will be online in 2007. If you could identify the vessel then I imagine you could obtain a copy of the passenger list for the ship if you wanted to.

regards

Philip Eagles

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for you help Philip, that's a good avenue to explore.

Regards

Clem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts