Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking info on the Italian passenger ship 'Italia' launched 1954 I think, can anyone give me any info please eg. Owners, previous names etc

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Italia

A warm welcome to the site. I am not aware of any passenger ship named Italia that was launched in 1954. There was an Italia launched on 28 April 1965 by CN Felszegi of Trigoso, Italy for Sunsarda SpA, Trieste. The old Swedish-America Line Kungsholm was sold to Home Lines and renamed Italia in 1948. She served with Home lines until 1964. Do either of these sound like the ship you are looking for? Can you provide any more clues?

Fred

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for that Fred.
I have uploaded a photo of the model I have, It has 'Italia' printed underneath...Maybe you can recognise it from my picture.
Thanks for the welcome.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Hi Mikey54th

Italia was an Italian shipping line Soc per Azioni di Nav. The colours of their funnels were white with red top and seperate narrow green band the same as the picture you posted in the gallery. This ship looks like Leonardo da Vinci, but she was built in 1960. However, the Cristoforo Colombo was built in 1954 which could well be the ship in question. But it is certainly not a ship called Italia. David

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
More info Mikey 54th. Mystery solved. Your ship is definitely the Cristoforo Colombo. She was built in 1954, 29,429gt, 701ft long, 90ft breadth and 23 knots. I have just found her picture in one of my books. She is very similar to Leonardo da Vinci, but there is no doubt at all that your ship is the Cristoforo Colombo of ITALIA Soc. per Azioni di Nav. David

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Piero said:
The Cantiere navale Felszegi was located (it closed in late sixties) in Trieste, and not in Trigoso.
P.
Thank you Piero, I relied upon a source that is usually reliable, but was not in this case. The Felszegi yard was indeed located at Muggia, near Trieste and belonged to the Giacomelli group who also owned the company that placed the order for Italia. Unfortunately both companies went bankrupt as she was fitting out. She was taken over by the creditor bank BNL and finished for bare boat charter to Costa.

Fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
Must be a different "Italia" but the year, 1954, is the same?

Interested in any information/pictures of the liner Italia, which arrived in New York City a day late on January 22, 1954 after a 12-day rough weather crossing from Hamburg, Germany. Master of the Italia was Capt. Paul Thormohlen. This information is from The New York Times' article "ITALIA IN DAY LATE, ICED BY ROUGH SEAS" published on January 23, 1954. This is the only information I've been able to locate.

I was a passenger, a scared little girl, on that ship and would love to have any additional information, memories of others who shared this terrifying journey, photos, etc.

Please reference ITALIA in any responses . . . which would be so greatly appreciated. Please send a Private Message Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Italia cruise ship

I think you are talking about the Costa Cruise Lines ship. We sailed on the Italia in 1975. it was a fairly small ship compared to the ships of today. It was 490 feel long. And had only one dining room holding 78 tables plus the captain's table with only two seatings.. (Early or late). Crossing the Caribbean Sea was a bit rough and sent much of the crew and passengers looking for a seasickness shot. It was scrapped by the Costas years ago. We also sailed on the Carla C in 1980 which was much larger than the Italia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts