Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the pennant which is attached to a ship that has finished its life as a cruise ship is only a P&O tradition. I am right in saying that the pennant is a foot for every year of service or I am way off with that statement. Would appreciate some feedback on this , I have posted a picture in the gallery of Oronsay leaving Southampton I had just got off her.

Bob ( Sydney )

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You are right that paying off pennants are usually a foot for each year and it was a 'norm' for all vessels in the past, but not so sure that all vessels carry out this tradition today.

Sebe

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Bob it was a long standing Naval tradition in our time at sea (originally RN in origin) and I think that all passenger ships of that time would most certainly have flown them, and probably a fair number of other vessels. Today, well probably not although I would love to stand corrected if someone can advise me differently. I know the RN still carry on the tradition today..but other MN vessels??.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I remember seeing a news story years ago about a RN ship flying her pennant going into home port, it trailed behind the ship as she had been away for a long time. Supposed to have been a record.
Come on you ex-navy guys give us the story.
John.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I just done a search on RN Pennants and this is what I found.
Paying Off Pennant - It is customary for a ship entering harbour for the last time to fly this pennant in place of her masthead pennant. Its length depends on the length of the commission but is generally the same as the ship herself
Note: Length of Commission.
John

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Most Orient and P&O Captains of that era belonged to the Royal Naval Reserve, so I suggest that they brought the RN tradition with them.

Fred

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Paying off Pennant - Opossum

Bruce C - There must have been something wrong with the pennant in that photo, since the 'Opossum' was alongside a fitting-out berth in Cammell-Laird's yard at Birkenhead when I joined the 'San Florentino' there in May 1963. That means that at the time of the photo she would have been around 40 years in commission, and the pennant doesn't seem 40-feet long.

Regards

Ron Stringer

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I cant answer that question Paul as I'm a old army man,but we have two U.S Navy men that are members, Allan Hill for one,come on Allan we want to know.
John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oronsay paying off pennant.

bob johnston said:
Just wondering if the pennant which is attached to a ship that has finished its life as a cruise ship is only a P&O tradition. I am right in saying that the pennant is a foot for every year of service or I am way off with that statement. Would appreciate some feedback on this , I have posted a picture in the gallery of Oronsay leaving Southampton I had just got off her.

Bob ( Sydney )
I too signed off oronsay before her final trip back to Sydney. It was a most emotional day and I remember the skipper Jock Lefevre well. I receieved a lovely letter from him a year later and a reference which was most useful to me in my application for the Metropolitan Police. As she sailed down the solent there were many tears as the pipe band played "will ye no come back again". A fitting tribute for a grand old scottish lady of the sea and to my mind the happiest ship in the fleet. I was a cabin steward on her for two years and loved every minute.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
A quick question for members who served in the Navy. I understand that a ship's commission is her time in service between refits, and not necessarily the whole time of her service. Am I correct?

Many thanks in advance,
Roy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts