Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can members give me good, bad or indifferent reports on Paypal, please? I ask because a firm has emailed me, saying that they, now, accept payments with Paypal.

I understand that Paypal takes payments from the bank account and I'm a bit careful with security. I do appreciate that they have been around a long time.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I can only tell you that I use PayPal frequently and without any problems. It is linked to my bank account (also my debit card but these access exactly the same account).

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I second above.
Have been a Paypal user since joining Ebay many years ago and should I have occasion to examine my Paypal account I login via Ebay for double
safety.
Never a single problem and am reluctant to deal with any www warehouse that doesn't accept Paypal.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
I also have no problem with PayPal. Initially just used for eBay purchases, but I now use it for other online purchases as well when it's available. I keep between £200 - £300 in my PayPal A/C for such purposes. Easy to set up, and quick and easy transactions. Set up via my regular online bank account, which is very secure .

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I have used Paypal for many years and like the others above have had no problem. Within the Radio Officers Association (ROA) we have recently opened a corporate account which allows overseas members to pay directly into our account which has substantially eased the annual subs hassle in foreign currencies. Much cheaper than using banks. Some UK based members have now started using it as well.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
One rule of thumb apart from normal transaction history which is almost instanteous via email, ignore any other Paypal email or go thru the motions of signing in to your Paypal account from an email request.
You do so at your peril !!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've used PayPal for 10 years and no problems whatsoever. It is my preferred method of payment as I don't like giving bank or credit card info to any Tom Dick or Harry on the internet. If there should be a dispute over the goods purchased PP will also step in to assist though I have never had to recourse to them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
One rule of thumb apart from normal transaction history which is almost instanteous via email, ignore any other Paypal email or go thru the motions of signing in to your Paypal account from an email request.

I agree whole heartedly and I have an email address that I use ONLY for PayPal as my general account gets too much spam since it's been used for the last 18 years. Only PayPal has this account so no one

else has it.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I have been using Paypal for many years ( since 2005) and in the last few years I have been using Paypal to pay for other things outside of ebay.

Touch wood I have never had any problems.

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will reinforce that same with any bank account.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep I've used Paypal for years without a single problem (click click it's mine (LOL)). But I have my Paypal account attached to my credit card so even Paypal doesn't get near my bank account.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a thought, you do need a mobile phone number as they always send you an sms message with a security number every time you log in or buy something.
I know there are some (such as my wife) who do not use new fangled gadgets

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a thought, you do need a mobile phone number as they always send you an sms message with a security number every time you log in or buy something.
I know there are some (such as my wife) who do not use new fangled gadgets
I use Paypal , but they do not have a mobile phone number for me. They send an e-mail . Use for most internet purchases and linked to a credit card .

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks very much for the rapid responses that have been posted. I'm taking on board all the "ifs and buts" referring to credits cards, separate email address, etc. I am one of those dinosaur types who does not use a mobile or credit card.but the mail service and cheques are a bit of a bind, these days and the way you guys paint Paypal, it seems the way for me to go.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Split,
Its a no-brainer. PayPal acts as a cut out between you and the merchant. The merchant never gets your bank details, just the payment from PayPal.
It cost you nothing, and is guaranteed, if you dont receive the goods, PayPal refund you.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
PayPal are a wonderful company. I endorse everything said on this board. They are based in my old home town in Ireland and have given fantastic, stable employment to many in a traditionally high unemployment area. They appear to be model employers who provide decent wages as well as decent conditions. Long may they prosper.(Applause)

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Excellent service from PayPal. Great for making payments and I have had incoming payments come to my credit card as well. Never a problem.

I'd rather make purchases on PP than giving out your card number etc.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Paypal

There are some real Paypal horror stories on the ‘net if you wish to Google…

However like many on here I’ve also used Paypal for years, initially only with Ebay but lately with other companies I’ve dealt with on the Internet and everything has been fine. Paypal are a bit like other similar large Internet companies – Amazon, Ebay etc - in that they’re ok until something goes wrong and you need to contact a human – it then becomes a bit difficult and you need to accept that you may not get the satisfaction you’re looking for…

I purchased an item a few days ago on the ‘net and sent the appropriate amount of money to the email address supplied by the seller. About a week later when the goods had not arrived I mailed the sender who informed me he’d not received payment. On logging in to my Paypal account I found that the transaction was marked as ‘pending’. Apparently the email address supplied by the seller had been mis-typed and Paypal could not make the payment. I never copy email addresses but use cut and paste instead so I know the mistake was the seller’s and not mine. I then emailed the address supplied twice and on both occasions the mails bounced so confirming the address did not exist. Now I would have expected Paypal to either cancel or possibly mail me to inform there was a problem. They did neither and when I eventually got through to one of their Customer Services people they informed me that I would have to wait 30 days to have my account credited with the money. Interesting that the money had left my account – but hadn’t gone anywhere so it was sitting in Paypal’s account earning interest…

As an aside the Paypal CS person who mailed me got both my name and the recipient’s email address wrong…I’ve been called a few things in my time but I’ve never been called Jasmine before !!! (A)
(Hmmm think I'll go and change and put on that red dress and imagine I'm in Thailand again (H) )

SO. After years of using PP that’s a bit of a black mark against them from me…I’ll withhold final judgement until they credit my account with the money – my money – that they are holding in THEIR account…

Someone was saying they had their Paypal account linked to their Bank account. I prefer not to do that, the whole object of using Paypal is that you don’t share your bank details with anyone. I’d go one step further – I wouldn’t share my bank details with Paypal either… I keep a nominal amount in my Paypal account, ~£200. It’s tied to an account I have in a Building Society in which again there will be a nominal amount which I use to feed into my PP account if I need to using the Building Society’s on-line banking facility. If I sell an item for a fairly substantial amount (on Ebay for example) I transfer money to the Building Society (via Paypal on-line) and then move that sideways into my Bank account. All sounds a bit complicated but it’s very simple really and I've been doing it for years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts