Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello, in 1977 I started as a contract welder in the Placid international oilfield on the Penrod 36. saw the supply vessels of the Penrod fleet there. Mammoth, Mastodon, Hippo, Rhino etc etc, rarely also to Polar bear and Grizzly Bear. does someone have the IMO numbers of the Polar Bear and the Grizzly Bear for me.

Regards Nico Koorn
Nico, please see below.
POLAR BEAR, IMO 7344950, call sign HP5763
GRIZZLY BEAR, IMO 7344962, sold for demolition and beached for break-up at Alang (state of Gujarat, India) on 05 February 2016.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Penrod 74

Hi - this is a very late reply in this thread but here goes anyway. My dad was a geologist on Penrod 74 - I was only 12 or so when he was there but I recall many stories about it. He was quite moved by his experience there (he'd worked as a consultant all around the world) as he was certain that somewhere under there was a HUGE crude oil deposit but in the same sentence he would lament over how deep and rough it was out there.

Anyway I am sure I could think of lots of stories he told me if anyone is interested. Also would love any contact from anybody who remembered my Dad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We were in Bluff for about 4-5 weeks so got a lot of visits from the guys off the Polar Bear as our beer was cheaper than up the road & we were closer & stayed open longer too. I can't remember the name of the Scots guy but remember Joe as he was from my home town & well known.
Hi to you Pat, I have fond memories of the two tugs of which I did a main bearing line bore of the main motor in Whangarei harbour with an apprentice and the last journal bore before the prop shaft in Bluff harbour beside Bluff Engineering in the company of Brian Fiffe an apprentice and Dennice Thorban WECO works supervisor.
Please feel free to make contact if you wish.
Thanks for your submission.
Grahame

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was Mate on Grizzly bear and polar Bear towing Penrod 74 around NZ For 4 years.
going 140 miles south of Bluff anchoring her in 2500 feet with piggy backs.
Thinking back dont know how we did it,didnt even have posts down aft for towing,Archaic Eh
Any one know these boats.Especially any Yanks as she flew the stars stripes.
jumi5 mike bishop
Hi Mike, Yes I knew these ships.
I have fond memories of the two tugs of which I did a main bearing line bore of the main motor in Whangarei harbour with an apprentice and the last journal bore before the prop shaft in Bluff harbour beside Bluff Engineering in the company of Brian Fiffe an apprentice and Dennice Thorban WECO works supervisor.
Please feel free to make contact if you wish.
Thanks for your submission.
Grahame

21 - 25 of 25 Posts