Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an apology to Phil the Chill for having caused his thread "Gigantic Ship" to be removed.

It was not my intention to cause offence to anybody.

BY

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
All

The Gigantic ship thread was not removed, but moved to Stormy Weather.

I get fed up of reminding members that The Pig & Whistle is for General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy.

As moderators our job is to ensure that site rules are adhered to. We would prefer the smooth running of the site without having to intervene. Members know the rules, so please do not blame us if rules are broken.

We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments. This site is not a corner of a pub with a few mates, you cannot say whatever you want to, it is an international and very public forum.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
I am sure I played my part too. Sorry. I, however, have to point out that even in the children's nursery it is not always appropriate to maintain a universally vanilla conversation. When the brick comes through the window do we only mention it if it is a yobbo and not a Brexit mob? No more is it in the duty mess else we might as well take a pipe in companionable silence.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Dear David,

Far be it from me to blame you for breaking the rules.

Best wishes,

BY
ps
I agree with Varley's highly relevant point that if the window is broken by criminals we are allowed to mention it but if it is broken by politicians we are not allowed to mention it. Such a rule pre-supposes that politicians are above the criminal law, which is plainly not the case.

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Barrie and All

Politics CAN be discussed, but in Stormy Weather, not the Pig & Whistle. Since you are not a member, you would be unaware of these posts and threads. That is a shame because you would thrive there. Your poems are second to none as are your other posts.

Sadly, as mentioned before, we have to have guidelines/rules'. Our job is to ensure they are adhered to, purely and simply.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you, David, for your kind words.

There is something nautical about SN; and, as such, a lifetime's experience tells me that I should avoid stormy weather if at all possible - and particularly if my driving force is merely pleasure, which it is.

To wallow in nostalgia is bad enough. To forsake the rules of good seamenship is not something I have any inclination to do.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
I trust discussion on the rules is not inappropriate upon the calm.

Observation suggests that the mods do not themselves decide what is political but monitor the conversation for the direction and quantity of blown smoke.

I opine that some exaggerate the turbidity as a rhetorical stratagem.

Politics may often be the cause of an event ("Events, Dear boy, events" although SuperMac referred to the unplanned rather than the policy). But except in the boudoir of a maiden aunt with overtight corsetry might the event itself be decently excluded from polite conversation.

I imagine our foreign and 'family abroad' can Googlate MacMillan' and his quotes.

I agree Barrie would find little to offend his sensibilities that were not also easily ignored in Stormy Weather. I am not sure that having Stormy Weather itself is not misused when it is used to curtain off the real world from those who we value as commentators of it. Keep it for the 9 o'clock watershed (passed junior's bedtime!) stuff.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
The Stormy weather site carries the most visited thread on this forum , "Non PC. Jokes " at 187000 strikes.
Does this indicate that we are a broad minded group or just dirty old men ?

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
You have to divide that up too. There is a difference between a joke that requires the smut to make the humour and a sting of unlinked smut that would only be amusing to a pre-teen for the novelty of the bad language.

(One has to read each, of course, to determine into which category they should be put).

Nor do I argue that SW should not exist to cater for both of those, Just that those engaged in diplomatic discourse should not be sent there. Jaw Jaw is better than war war.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts