Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received a book of poetry I ordered from the Bristol branch of the M.N.Association.Written by Reg Kear a member of that branch now living in Aussie.I was chatting on the phone to member Ted Williams and he mentioned that he was once seeking photos of the ten Heavy Lift Ships with 120 ton derricks.He served with Dalhousie in the Korean war.
I do not know if he managed to do this so thought I would trace these for him. I have found seven and need
EMPIRE ELAINE- 47-JOHN LYRAS/ 70-BOUNDARY/ 72-bup
EMPIRE CHARMIAN- 51-VERCHARMIAN / 62 b/up
EMPIRE MARSHALL-55-BERMUDA TRADER /65 b/up.

Thanks for any help offered. (Thumb)

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have just received a book of poetry I ordered from the Bristol branch of the M.N.Association.Written by Reg Kear a member of that branch now living in Aussie.I was chatting on the phone to member Ted Williams and he mentioned that he was once seeking photos of the ten Heavy Lift Ships with 120 ton derricks.He served with Dalhousie in the Korean war.
I do not know if he managed to do this so thought I would trace these for him. I have found seven and need

Reg Kear is a very good friend of mine he is also a member of SN,Reg has written many poems about the sea and the book you bought has some of his best.He now lives in Mornington.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Cisco.(Thumb)

John Yes it is time to re-read them. He comes across as a very perceptive man who is passionate about matters of the sea as well as being very modest.
I can strongly recommend them to other members. I trust he is still productive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Empire Elaine

O.N. 167744
Tonnage: 7,513g, 5,133n.
Dimensions: 416.0 x 66.7 x 31. feet.
Engine: 3cyl 2 S.C.S.A. (23-5/8" & 91-5/16") oil engine by Wm. Doxford & Sons ltd., Sunderland. 516nhp.
30.7.1942. Launched by Vickers, Armstrong Ltd., Barrow-in-Furness (yard No. 856) for the Ministry of War Transport (Cayzer Irvine & Company Limited, managers) London.
11. 1942 Completed.
1946: Owners restyled ministry of Transport.
1947: Sold to Marine Enterprise ltd., London and renamed John Lyras.
1952: Lyras Brothers, appointed managers.
1959: Sold to Viking Shipping Corporation, Greece.
1963: Transferred to Liberian registry.
1970: Sold to New Frontier Shipping Company, Panama and renamed BOUNDARY.
Prior to 9.9.1972: Arrived Kaohsiung for demolition.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Macca, what is your source for that info please?
Although not quite in the above format, this information is also contained in the Electronic PDF book on CD published in 2009 called FROM CLANS, TO KINGS AND CASTLES - The Cayzer, Irvine Group by V.McClymont and W.J.Harvey

Empire Elaine was the 194th vessel to enter the management of Cayzer, Irvine & Co.Ltd, they being the ultimate owner / manager of The Clan Line Steamers Ltd. etc

Hope this helps

Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Although not quite in the above format, this information is also contained in the Electronic PDF book on CD published in 2009 called FROM CLANS, TO KINGS AND CASTLES - The Cayzer, Irvine Group by V.McClymont and W.J.Harvey

Empire Elaine was the 194th vessel to enter the management of Cayzer, Irvine & Co.Ltd, they being the ultimate owner / manager of The Clan Line Steamers Ltd. etc

Hope this helps

Bill
Same source as Billh confirmed by The Empire Ships by Mitchell & Sawyers
Macca

·
Registered
5 Posts

Another was the Empire Viceroy which was managed together with Empire Marshal by London based P.B.Pandelis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts