Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been approached by one Anthony Green, Singapore, to help him in writing a book on the pilgrim trade. Are there any BF member who can help with first hand knowledge eg Tyndareus or Gunung Djati?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did a season late fifties as 1st r/o on Gunung Djati with Capt.McMillan
also did Chinese Repat voyage Have some photos exact dates up in the
"loft" regards tfpjohnson

·
Registered
315 Posts
SN has repeatedly requested posters keep to the gist of the thread.
As a newcomer to the site canst possibly comply?
Am not really interested who you sailed with in BF.
Hardly the spirit of comradeship which is likely to elicit much information, or much of a welcome to tfpjohnson - what will he think of us?

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
May I timidly suggest that it wasn't only the magnificent, perfect, and immaculate BF and their highly trained wonder crews who operated pilgrim ships. Other more ordinary British companies ran them also!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
May I timidly suggest that it wasn't only the magnificent, perfect, and immaculate BF and their highly trained wonder crews who operated pilgrim ships. Other more ordinary British companies ran them also!
If you had taken the trouble to read the thread you'll have seen that it was initiated by a question regarding Tyndareus and Gunung Djati.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Sorry! I read it as being a book on the pilgrim trade. I also understood from the initial post that the Tyndareus and Gunung Djati were given as examples!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Lack of good manners and humility when seeking aid or info.
Lack of understanding that eg means for example.

Anyone else want to shoot themselves in the foot before 2007 ends, this seems like the thread to do it.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the interest of good manners and example to new site members, I've amended mylast accordingly.
Posters who may have found objection to original, may wish to avail themselves of "Blue Funnel Line Reborn," blown completely out of context by a similar if not more controversial input.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tfpjohnson my apologies for not noting your SN date of joining.
Welcome to the site and all it has to offer.
I'm presently without success searching for Anthony Green's email address as I'm sure he would be interested in any pilgrim ship experiences, and/or any pics of GD which I hope will also appear in SN gallery.
Visited GD on her very first BF voyage, I think in Djakarta. Was amazed at BF's radio room conversion!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sadly, too funny.
Good luck in your search for cooperation and assistance.
AB

·
Registered
269 Posts
Can't have been the Gunung Djati in the late 50's - she was still the "Dunera" then!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't have been the Gunung Djati in the late 50's - she was still the "Dunera" then!
GD built 1936 as German Ostafrika Line's Pretoria.
Taken over at end of WWII became Empire Doon.
Managed as a troopship by Orient Line renamed Empire Orwell.
Bought by BF 1958 & renamed Gunung Djati.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pilgrim ships

tfpjohnson my apologies for not noting your SN date of joining.
Welcome to the site and all it has to offer.
I'm presently without success searching for Anthony Green's email address as I'm sure he would be interested in any pilgrim ship experiences, and/or any pics of GD which I hope will also appear in SN gallery.
Visited GD on her very first BF voyage, I think in Djakarta. Was amazed at BF's radio room conversion!
Hello there
I'm the Anthony Green mentioned, and you're correct - I'm interested in any experiences of working on the pilgrim ships. I've posted a 'Hi' note somewhere to briefly describe what I am looking for (sorry, but I'm new to the site and the posting business, so please excuse my clumsiness).

I've already had some very interesting details and some good photographs from a number of people but I would be happy to hear from anyone who worked on these pilgrims runs and has any information to share.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Capt. Mcmillan

Never knew McMillan was in the 'Gunung Djati'. I sailed with him in the late 50s and not a pleasant experience.
My Dad was 1st Mate on the Gunung Djati and regarded Capt. McMillan as a good Catain, the only problem he had with him was that he liked to discuss issues at length which meant that it was hard to get a quick decision off him other than that he was very good

·
Banned
181 Posts
My Dad was 1st Mate on the Gunung Djati and regarded Capt. McMillan as a good Catain, the only problem he had with him was that he liked to discuss issues at length which meant that it was hard to get a quick decision off him other than that he was very good
Michael,

I was merely giving my opinion and afterall, I would not have got to know him as well as your father.

Brgds
Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Michael,

I was merely giving my opinion and afterall, I would not have got to know him as well as your father.

Brgds
Bill
No worries Bill,

I was just intrigued by your comments and had a word with my Dad about it. Since I found this website it has aroused my curiosty about all things Blue Flu, I've been badgering him to tell me his story but he's not keen to talk about the past although once I get a drop of booze into him he loosens up.

With regards to the Gunung Djati he joined her in December 1958 in Glasgow for her first voyage. They had two chief Officers on board, one to manage the Pilgrims and the other to manage the ship. My Dad was the Pilgrim Officer
and he says it was Ok but once they had been to Mecca a lot of them gave up the will to live and he had a lot of burials to supervise.

He was also 1st mate on the Tyndareus in 1953.

Regards

Mike

·
Banned
181 Posts
No worries Bill,

I was just intrigued by your comments and had a word with my Dad about it. Since I found this website it has aroused my curiosty about all things Blue Flu, I've been badgering him to tell me his story but he's not keen to talk about the past although once I get a drop of booze into him he loosens up.

With regards to the Gunung Djati he joined her in December 1958 in Glasgow for her first voyage. They had two chief Officers on board, one to manage the Pilgrims and the other to manage the ship. My Dad was the Pilgrim Officer
and he says it was Ok but once they had been to Mecca a lot of them gave up the will to live and he had a lot of burials to supervise.

He was also 1st mate on the Tyndareus in 1953.

Regards

Mike

Michael,

Many thanks your prompt reply.
Your fathers name was known to me and I have to say all I heard was good.
You might advise your father that Capt Hughie Davies (Chwilog, North Wales) passed away early this year.

Brgds

Bill

1 - 20 of 82 Posts