Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on the Pipiriki with you Paul I think we didn't get the prop fixed until we got to Wellington If memory serves me right we were 56 days from London to Suva and a further ten days to Wellington my e mail is [email protected] Good to hear from you after all those years Re Tom Simpson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pipiriki information.

New Zealand Shipping Company "Pipiriki", joined late 1970, final voyage, loaded 2nd hand cars Royal Albert Dock, then loaded oranges at Kingston, Jamaica, arrived Wellington NZ 1800 hrs Christmas Eve after giving her everything she had, maintained 15 kts across the pacific, passing through the after math of a huge storm, just huge residual swells and no wind she popped a hull seam, which required building a timber coffer dam and filling with concrete to stem the leak, removed the copper degaussing gear during the voyage where we could and in some cases removing refrigeration insulation to get at it, this was sold in Wellington for 22 cents a pound. Self discharged her cargo with ships gear as no waterside labour available. Departed Dunedin later January 1971 for Kaohsiung Taiwan for scrapping. Plus on January 6th in Wellington became engaged to my girlfriend of 3 years and married in July 1971 when I settle permanently in New Zealand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stood by Paparoa West Mersey for three months removed degausing gear
sold local a very warm summer the ship sailed for the breakers.Good times
in the Green Man at Bradwell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grandad was Cptn Dan. Love to hear more stories from crew!

Fascinating to hear from you all about the Pipiriki. My grandad was Cptn Frank Dan, who sadly passed away before I was born. I'd love to hear stories from people who served with him!

·
Registered
146 Posts
In August 62 I was in the Papanui and when we arrived in Melbourne we tied behind the Pip. We held a massive party on board with the assistance of some nurses from Royal Melbourne Hospital, unbeknown to us the boys on the Pip were doing something similar and I recall a comment from one of the guys on the gate as our "girls" arrived . It started with J.C how many more F...... sheilas are you B...... taking on board that boat? Our old man was first trip command Robin Hood and Dirty Dan was indeed the skipper of the Pip, who I believe was always an active participant at ships parties.

·
Registered
USSCo,Shell,P&O,Bank Line, ODA BSI, pilot Orkney,Honiara,Yambu,Dubai,Yeman, Oil Movements Egypt,etc
91 Posts
Spent a little time at Pipiriki school on the Wanganui River and seagulled on discharge of cargo in Auckland when a USSCo cadet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Operated by the New Zealand Shipping Company, the PIPIRIKI (44/10065) is seen passing Tilbury in the late 1960’s.
I have a letter posted on 26th August, 1925 to

Mr Ralston Taylor,
" S. S. Pipiriki "
Brisbane, Queensland
Australia

Which " S S Pipiriki " was that ?
Screenshot_20210722-152712__01.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am talking about the ship which was sailing during 1920s and not the ond during 1962.
Yep, but you are in the forum for the latter ship But not to worry. There is a record in the Otago Daily Times 11th February 1925 of S. S. Pipiriki of the A. and A. Line out of New York and expected to arrive at Dunedin Via Auckland Wellington and Littleton. She was due to depart in February for Hobart Launceston and Adelaide to complete her discharge.
She was originally the SS Trethisnay of the Haine Steam Shipping Line and then was acquired by the Federal Steam Navigation Co. and Chartered to The Australian and American Line.
I am talking about the ship which was sailing during 1920s and not the ond during 1962.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, but you are in the forum for the latter ship But not to worry. There is a record in the Otago Daily Times 11th February 1925 of S. S. Pipiriki of the A. and A. Line out of New York and expected to arrive at Dunedin Via Auckland Wellington and Littleton. She was due to depart in February for Hobart Launceston and Adelaide to complete her discharge.
She was originally the SS Trethisnay of the Haine Steam Shipping Line and then was acquired by the Federal Steam Navigation Co. and Chartered to The Australian and American Line.
Thank you

21 - 33 of 33 Posts