Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden I am unable to play DVDs on my computer using Media Player or any other player based on Window.
The error message COOD 1163 appears and suggests dwonloading a new driver. Following the usual Windows merry-go-round I do everything it says and get now where. In an effort to contact Microsoft to find out what has happened I came across a forum which was discussing the same problem which seems to be general.
I am coming to the conclusion that Microsoft have done something to stop commercially bought DVDs being played in answer to legal proceeding in the US.
Is there any way I or rather my wife can play DVDs on her laptop again? My wife is very annoyed as she has bought a lot of DVDs of TV programmes etc and now cannot play them.

·
Super Moderator
6,618 Posts
NoMoss,

well I have just placed one in my DVD Player - using Windows Media player and it has loaded first time and is playing away as I type. I did have to up rate my DVD for playing films recently and I downloaded a free one called VLC Media player. However I am using Windows at present. Sometimes there are updates to your drivers and it may well be that yours needs an update. You should be able to do a check on this by going to Windows updates.

Hawkey01

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I have not used Media Player in years; I use Real Alternative, no messing, no unwanted connection, just play. For DVD I use Power Cinema occasionally. I remember once that Windows recommended that I get a new driver, only when I did, the whole computer 'lost it' and fouled up internet connection. I had a Restore Point set, so now I continue to ignore the advice given by Windows Update, have done for years. I am not a great fan of the hype that goes with all the rating, selection and type of music, let alone the other unwanted data that goes with Media Player. I have to be blunt and say that I usually play music on a HiFi/Micro and DVD on a DVD player with the TV; much better quality of picture and sound, as well as the advantage of a comfy settee ... all the best, Raymond

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.
The problem is on both my desk top and my wife's laptop.
I have tried downlowding media player 11 but still get same problem. I tried using the Dell installed player and Quick Time but with no success.
The problem has only recently started and I believe it is due to a MS update sent recently. As I said the forum I looked at seemed to be full of people complaining of the same error message (Cood1163).
Will have a look at the suggested downloads yo mentioned.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not used Media Player in years; I use Real Alternative, no messing, no unwanted connection, just play. For DVD I use Power Cinema occasionally. I remember once that Windows recommended that I get a new driver, only when I did, the whole computer 'lost it' and fouled up internet connection. I had a Restore Point set, so now I continue to ignore the advice given by Windows Update, have done for years. I am not a great fan of the hype that goes with all the rating, selection and type of music, let alone the other unwanted data that goes with Media Player. I have to be blunt and say that I usually play music on a HiFi/Micro and DVD on a DVD player with the TV; much better quality of picture and sound, as well as the advantage of a comfy settee ... all the best, Raymond
I agree about the quality of watching DVDs on the TV but my wife like to watch 'her' DVDs while I watch the TV programmes that she doesn't find interesting.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I go with Hawkey01. I stopped using Windows Media Slayer a long time ago. VLC Media Player, or I think the free DIVX Player will do this too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I go with Hawkey01. I stopped using Windows Media Slayer a long time ago. VLC Media Player, or I think the free DIVX Player will do this too.

Thanks to all - have just installed VLC Media and it works fine on my PC. Have put it on the wife's laptop and waiting for her opinion (she's out at present).
I knew I could rely on the SN crew. Perhaps I will be excused spending so much time reading threads in future.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
NoMoss, try this, go to Settings,Control Panel,then click on Systems,then click on Hardware,then Devices,when the list of hardware appears click on the plus sign on CD,DVD and open it, then click on Update driver and see if that will make your Windows player work.
John.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NoMoss, try this, go to Settings,Control Panel,then click on Systems,then click on Hardware,then Devices,when the list of hardware appears click on the plus sign on CD,DVD and open it, then click on Update driver and see if that will make your Windows player work.
John.
Thanks for reply - I did as you said but when I clicked on +CD/DVD and it opened there was no 'Update driver' link.
When I had my original problem I followed the links and one suggested I went to Update page and download a new driver - but there was none on offer.
My system is still XP Service Pack Three.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all - have just installed VLC Media and it works fine on my PC. Have put it on the wife's laptop and waiting for her opinion (she's out at present).
I knew I could rely on the SN crew. Perhaps I will be excused spending so much time reading threads in future.
Great News! My wife is sitting happily watching 'Upstairs, Downstairs' on her laptap - blessed relief - many thanks to all.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
NoMoss, I should have added one more action and that is right click on your CD drive and select Properties,there you will see a link to your drivers.Sorry.

John.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts