Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enclose a composite photo of a relevant portion of seven vessels built by the same shipyard at around the same time. The quiz question is to identify the builder. Identification of each of the seven vessels might be a little harder.

Attachments

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug Rogers said:
Well one looks suspiciously like a Brockie???....but the rest I dont know!!.
No. I'll give clues if this proves too difficult. But I think at least 2-3 of the people on Ships Nostalgia will get it easily. If so then we'll go down to identifying the actual vessels before I post a pot-pourri of all 7.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tanker said:
BARTRAM & SONS Sunderland builder ,the second in the high right is the LONDONER.
Everything correct so far! "Montcalm" however is really La Falda. I think she was laid down as Montcalm but never sailed as such. Can't remember what she was launched as.

Now - what about the other 4 vessels?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I should have added that in my view this house style made these vessels (especially those built 57-59) the best looking general cargo vessels ever built. If someone out there has a photo of the similar SILVERBECK I'd be delighted to see it. So that eliminates one vessel from the rest of the quiz.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
The two grey on the left side perhaps are FILLEIGH-1957 and LANDWADE 1961,correct LA FALDA built As MONTCALM. 1958. and the black possible is SILVERBECK.
Gp

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
tanker said:
The two grey on the left side perhaps are FILLEIGH-1957 and LANDWADE 1961 ... and the black possible is SILVERBECK.
Gp
Correct for the two Tatems. Filleigh is the 2nd left vessel and Landwade the bottom left. Silverbeck is not amongst them. I'm looking for a good photo of her.

That's 2 to go. Like the other 5, both these are also nominal British "tramps" (as opposed to cargo liners). The top left vessel has a two-worded name and the remaining one just one word. Both are named in the traditional style of their owners.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
zelo1954 said:
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I should have added that in my view this house style made these vessels (especially those built 57-59) the best looking general cargo vessels ever built. If someone out there has a photo of the similar SILVERBECK I'd be delighted to see it. So that eliminates one vessel from the rest of the quiz.
Zelo 1954

Go to www. merchant-navy.com enter vessels name in Google Search and comes up with a website where a photo of this ship is posted. I cannot print website here as it has a bad word in context and appears as asterix

Rgds Gdynia

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gdynia said:
Zelo 1954

Go to www. merchant-navy.com enter vessels name in Google Search and comes up with a website where a photo of this ship is posted. I cannot print website here as it has a bad word in context and appears as asterix

Rgds Gdynia
Wow. Not sure if it is Solent Waters (Gallery of Old Ships) you are referring to but - BOY - what a gold mine. I'll spend weeks trawling through that.

Ta muchly!

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
zelo1954 said:
Wow. Not sure if it is Solent Waters (Gallery of Old Ships) you are referring to but - BOY - what a gold mine. I'll spend weeks trawling through that.

Ta muchly!
Thats the site but if you take the last letter in Solent (t) then the first 3 in Waters(wat) put them all together and thats the reason it would not let me print out the website

1 - 18 of 18 Posts