Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week, during the Trafalgar 200 events in the Solent off Portsmouth, there will be a re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar except that it will be fought between the Red fleet and the Blue fleet… Why you ask, so that we do not upset the French. (Night)

G

·
0 Posts
Bob S said:
Next week, during the Trafalgar 200 events in the Solent off Portsmouth, there will be a re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar except that it will be fought between the Red fleet and the Blue fleet… Why you ask, so that we do not upset the French. (Night)
I'm appalled too.

I don't understand any of it. I heard that the phrase "Cheese eating surrender monkeys" was to be banned too. What on earth does that even mean ?

Time for us to clasp our Gauloise smoking, garlic chomping Gallic buddies to our breasts and admit that all that Napoleonic War stuff was just a bit of fun, Jeux Sans Frontieres style. We have to move on.

Is there any hint as to which side is which ? Oh, and do you think Nelson should play the joker or let Wellie use it at Waterloo ?

Dave

·
Just a Injun
369 Posts
Some time ago in my boating magazine, Motorboats Monthly, they ran a feature called Skuttlebut. One of these stories really did amuse me at the time.
It was about a French Warship entering the Mersey on a courtesy visit to Liverpool. Apparently the French vessels Capitaine sent a complaint to the Liverpool Port Authority; the tugs they sent to assist were WATERLOO and TRAFALGAR.
(Frogger)
Perhaps we should have Trafalgar Day in Liverpool.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,602 Posts
Walport! I didn't realise they had been going about that long. We still use them for videos now, usually get about 120 every 3 months.
And now we're switching over to DVDs.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Ron B Manderson said:
Yes we would get I think 3 boxes every 6 months then 16mm film We would swope with other ships to get new ones to see . Thats why in trinco we swapped with city boat and their deck apprentice collected them but he had dropped the last rell in the water . He never told anyone . Our sparks Ian Hamilton had to tell them how it ended by the morse key .
Oh Happy days .
Ron
We, on Somerset, were about to watch Kidnapped. Amongst the crew we had 3 Lewismen, 1 from Fort William & a couple from Glasgow. The guy who was showing the film, who shall remain nameless, had been helping himself to the free beer that was laid on that night & managed to get the reel on back to front. So when the movie started all the words were all to hell.......but not for our shipmates north of the Border.........They thought it was Gaelic being spoken. Alas, they left the messroom in disgrace when the fault was found. Yes! Free beer = happy days!!(Daze) (Hippy)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whilst in the Panama Canal on Hinakura, a number of ships were dressed overall.
Why all the bunting ? said the old man to the pilot.........'Well Captain, he replied, 'It's the 4th of July and we are celebrating George Washington...kicking you British out of the States'
'Thank Christ for George Washington'...said the old man, retiring to the chartroom...and so much for the 'Special Relationship.....'

·
Registered
151 Posts
Back in '69, I remeber arriving at Ambrose, and the pilot comes aboard, with the newspapers under his arm for the Old Man, and says "Well Cap, we just put three Americans on the Moon", suitable noises were made by all except the Senior 2/O, whose response was "Only Three. It's gonna take you a #'@!* of a long time to put 160 Million of you up there, three at a #@$* Time"......

·
Registered
89 Posts
One afternoon going through Suez the Pilot demanded a prayer mat and the Chief Mate who had a wicked sense of humour gave him an Israeli Flg to kneel on. Needless to say he anchored her In the Bittter lakes and departed without a word. We went nowhere for 3 days, just watched convoys go past whilst the Old Man lived on the vHF, they just Ignored us. I never heard how that one got explained away.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
One afternoon going through Suez the Pilot demanded a prayer mat and the Chief Mate who had a wicked sense of humour gave him an Israeli Flg to kneel on. Needless to say he anchored her In the Bittter lakes and departed without a word. We went nowhere for 3 days, just watched convoys go past whilst the Old Man lived on the vHF, they just Ignored us. I never heard how that one got explained away.
That's it; a wicked sense of humour, if any of the above posts are even remotely true. Had I been the pilot, I would have left you sitting there far longer. Narvik, Dunkirk, Greece, Crete and of course, the daddy of them all, Singapore. And to a numerically inferior force(Night). Did France have so many humiliating debacles?

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
good morning bob s.23.june 2005,03:45.re:political correctness gone mad.there was no such fleet as red and blue.it does not relate to the battle of Trafalgar.and were do they come off changing history to suit the polly's.go for it nelson.ben27

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
No, just one.
Mind, its lasted for 200 years.
You had to go back a long way, to get that, but at least you tried.(Scribe) I am thinking more of the events of the 20th Century. It was only the narrow seas that saved GB from being steamrollered.

The RN did all the heavy lifting in those early days of WWII, at Narvik, at Dunkirk and Crete, and its losses in ships and men was horrific. There was a joke about a matelot on leave, and seeing a khaki uniform with HG on the sleeve, he asked what outfit it might be. "Home Guard." said the khaki-clad man. "Put it here." said the matelot, offering his hand, "You are the only army man we haven't had to rescue so far."(Pint)

·
Registered
61 Posts
You had to go back a long way, to get that, but at least you tried.(Scribe) I am thinking more of the events of the 20th Century. It was only the narrow seas that saved GB from being steamrollered.
Aye, but the Germans had tanks and an air force.
The Vietnamese only had a pyjama party and kicked your lot out.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Aye, but the Germans had tanks and an air force.
The Vietnamese only had a pyjama party and kicked your lot out.
Wow thats what we like to see ,a spirit of camaraderie with our mates from across the pond ,none of that namby pamby political correctness there eh? but ermmm Samsette is flying the Canadian flag no the stars and stripes did his lot get kicked out of Vietnam too by the pyjama party?? but back to the reenactment i reckon it would be more fun if they used actual cannonballs and grapeshots now THAT would be what you call a reenactment

·
Registered
425 Posts
We, on Somerset, were about to watch Kidnapped. Amongst the crew we had 3 Lewismen, 1 from Fort William & a couple from Glasgow. The guy who was showing the film, who shall remain nameless, had been helping himself to the free beer that was laid on that night & managed to get the reel on back to front. So when the movie started all the words were all to hell.......but not for our shipmates north of the Border.........They thought it was Gaelic being spoken. Alas, they left the messroom in disgrace when the fault was found. Yes! Free beer = happy days!!(Daze) (Hippy)
The same happened when our lecky from Belfast did the same thing with the French Connection,everyone in Marseilles including popeye was driving on the left!(Jester)

·
Registered
228 Posts
While working in Jebel Ali I had to bring in an American Aircraft Carrier and when half way down the channel I told the Captain he had got the pilot from an unfriendly nation (N.Z.) as the ship was nuclear. After that they quite often asked for me to get their own back. Who says the Americans have no sense of humour.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Apparently French schoolchildren are taught that Trafalgar was an insignificant sea battle in which the British admiral was killed.
I was told this by friends who live in France and whose children attend a French school.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts