Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
david smith said:
Port Caroline at anchor, Piraeus and laid up in Royal Portbury Dock, Bristol. Built 1968 16,283tg Ren Matra 1982
Remember she and PORT CHALMERS well when they were building at Stephen/s.Were the largest reefers in the world if I remember rightly.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I was young in 1966 when this two reefers were built.
I think they were broken up in 1983-4 as GOLDEN DOLPHIN and GOLDEN GLORY under greek flag.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
tanker said:
I was young in 1966 when this two reefers were built.
I think they were broken up in 1983-4 as GOLDEN DOLPHIN and GOLDEN GLORY under greek flag.
They were indeed.god ships for their day.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Do you have the dates for when the photos were taken?
I had no idea she was ever laid up at Bristol - thought she was always sent to the River Fal for that.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first was taken at Piraeus in June 1972, the second is more difficult. I visited Avonmouth many times with Shaw Savill, PSNC and Cairn Line. It may be that the ship was laying by waiting for the lambing season in New Zealand, not necessarily at the end of her working life. All I can say is that it was sometime after the opening of Royal Portbury dock and her renaming in 1982!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Sorry David but it can't be the Port Caroline. She was in NZ in June 1972. Could it possibly be the Port Chalmers as she was up that way around that time - she left Liverpool for NZ in late July.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm flummoxed.
I took this photo whilst at anchor on the mv Illyric waiting for the berth at Piraeus.
It is the Port Caroline.
It was June 1972, my journal - something Cadets were "suggested" to keep - details.
??????

·
Banned
3 Posts
So I am flummoxed too!!!!!!!
I am looking at sailing schedules taken from the Port records and newspaper shipping columns. Here's her schedule:
Melbourne May 30
Wellington 1300 04 Jun 07 0500
Lyttelton 1713 07 Jun 10 1940
Bluff 11 Jun 21
Port Chalmers 0815 22 Jun 25 1430
Dublin ETA 21 July
Liverpool ETA 28 July

Unfortunately, there was nothing about them that distinguished one from the other - even the names were the same length !!!

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
Oldsalt

The name Bristol is a little mis-leading,no ship of that size could ever sail up the Avon to Bristol.
Still they are great looking ships. I sailed on the Port Wyndham 1953-1954 out of Avonmouth across the river from Portbury dock.

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
After looking at the pictures again,to me the terrain features do not look like Portishead/Portbury dock, I lived in the area and I dont remember any hills like that.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have re-scanned the photo, and it is the Port Caroline and you can pick out the greek flag. I also went to Piraeus on 17/9/80 27/9/80 17/10/80 25/10/80 and 15/1/80
but do not remember going to the anchorage.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Well, you've established that it is definitely the "Port Caroline". I've confirmed that she was in NZ in June 1972. All we need now is to confirm a date! I have no records of her movements between May 1980 (when she left Napier for 'sea') until her renaming as "Matra" in late 1981. She appears to be in a ballast condition, so perhaps a call for bunkers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Port Caroline/Chalmers

Just found this site and decided to look up my first trip. I was 2nd electrician, deep sea, on the Port Caroline, joining in Liverpool, Sept 1971. I can confirm that she was not in Greece in 1972. That must have been the Port Chalmers. The only way of telling the difference between the two was the gangway lowered for'd on one and aft on the other. Now all I have to do is remember which was which. Great site. I also sailed on the Port Nicholson, Port New Plymouth and the Port Auckland. (after she was converted to a Sheep Carrier.)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ithink it was the port chalmers laid up in portbury,also their were the moreton and Encounter bay,and a couple of greek,one was the Maritsa p Lemos,but could not remember the others.
I did take some photos of the ships laid up when we used to run up into the city docks on the Dredgers,but I think I have now mislaid these photos now. I also remember another port line ship laid up the same time,not sure if it was the Port Nicholson.But this was in the early 80's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I seen the golden dolphin layed up in the fal estury in 1983 she was named the "matra"
when she arrived but had a name change later in her stay i beleve she left the fal early 1984.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Port Chalmers

I sailed on the Chalmers and Caroline as C/Engr., and made a model of the Chalmers while serving aboard. The model is to a scale of 1/96, making it around 4'-0 long, it lives in my hallway, with several other large models. If anyone is interested, I can e-mail some photos (files too large to show here) Model is to exhibition standard, exactly as per fullsize.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Port Caroline was in the Tyne just along from the bridge August/Sept 1973. All of the hatch freezer lockers were removed to make the hatches more flush for pallatised cargoes. Just passed my 2nd Mates ticket and promoted to 3rd Mate on board. No security as we were alongside what is now the "fun place in Europe" - the Quayside. More trouble from the local "Ladies of the night" than from anybody else.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts