Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen in the lock to the “King George V” dock in London on the 15th October 1966, PORT NAPIER (47/11834) was the photograph that started my collection almost forty years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Welcome to the site Bob,
Nice picture of the Port Napier.
I started my collection almost 50 years ago in Glasgow!
Some of the pics. I took with an old Brownie box camera may be seen at my personal web site at <mnnostalgia.com> although most are from SHIPS MONTHLY, with permission, of course!
Welcome aboard and hope to see many more of your 'shots of those great ships that used to be.
Ian
(Admin).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fond Memories

Bob S said:
Seen in the lock to the “King George V” dock in London on the 15th October 1966, PORT NAPIER (47/11834) was the photograph that started my collection almost forty years ago.
Great to see a photo of one of my old ships, I was the Engine Room Storekeeper on the Port Napier in 1952, a very good happy ship, like all the seven Port ships that I sailed on, what a pity that the Port Line no longer exists, it was a very good company to work for with such a fleet of beautiful well mantained ships.

·
Registered
27 Posts
JIM=Fond Memories

Bob S said:
Great to see a photo of one of my old ships, I was the Engine Room Storekeeper on the Port Napier in 1952, a very good happy ship, like all the seven Port ships that I sailed on, what a pity that the Port Line no longer exists, it was a very good company to work for with such a fleet of beautiful well mantained ships.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Great photo,where was it taken from?.Guess the ship was inward bound as I joined her
whilst loading outbound about a month after this photo was taken. Agreat ship in every sense(she was amomgst the largest Port Line Ship at that time.) enjoyed a happy trip out to Australia then over to load in NZ and home via Panama, almost as good as a world cruise..and we got paid as well

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi doug,
Taken from the road bridge between lock & dock. The bridge is still there but sadly only aircraft using City Airport to be photographed (Fly)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined Port Napier in August 1947 whilst she was being finished off at Swan,Hunter's in Newcastle. At first lived on " Port Fremantle", (I think) going to Napier by trolley bus until such time as we could live on board. Captain was G.L.Hazlewood, Chief Officer H. Clinch, Bo'sun Paddy Burns. Apprentices Esmond Kay, Self, Kenneth Nicholls and Don Fuller.
I was on her for her maiden voyage, Newcastle, Antwerp, London. Then the Australian Coast, via Durban. Across to New Zealand spending Christmas and New Year at Napier which was marvellous- if a little boozy.
I stayed on her for two years, four trips in all and still have very happy memories of that time even though I have been ashore now for fifty years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sailed with you on that trip on the Napier Colwyn
Joined Falmouth 13/10/67 docked Liverpool 1/3/68.
I was Eng's ast steward I stayed on the Port Napier until I left the MN in 1970 to get married.
Trevor Renison Grimsby. Port Line 1963 - 1970

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sighned on 15 September 1960, Antwerp, after refit as J.O.S. out to Aus. and N.Z. signing off 26 March 1961 I allso sailed on the "Townsville" befor the "Napier" I live on Guernsey, and we at presenrt get some 70 cruise ships in the summer, so it keeps me well up to date., and includind all the new ones.

·
sailor63
74 Posts
Hi Colwyn, my name is Colin Knight, i was A.B. on that trip! You remember the "queers wedding"? we all sat on laundrey bags as pews, and john Grimes played the part of the vicar and read from a copy of the bosuns manual. cant recall the names of the happy couple tho lol. those were the days eh. I have been in touch with john, hes retired in kiwi, napier i think cheers, c.K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Colin, the gray matter is going a bit cannot remember the wedding, the Port Napier was a good happy ship thats why I stayed on her for two years. The trip we sailed together.The catering crew were.John Colon, Ch Std. -
Tom Dixon,( Dolly Dixon)2nd Std. - John Thompson, As Std - John Lockeart,(twiggy )As Std. - Billy Wilde,(TuesdayWilde) As Std - Derek Whyatt, As Std -
and me Trevor Renison Ast Std- The head Chef was Harry Hinton from Liverpool, and the second cook and baker was Ian Maclenan,from Stornaway.
I have a photo of them all in front of me- happy days ....Trevor....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I joined Port Napier from mothball in Falmouth October 69. Loaded in Liverpool for Aussie then light ship to Kaohsiung for scrap February 70. Great ship. Great crew. Sad end.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sailed in Port Napier, to Kiwi ,64,as said before great ship,made one feel proud to be crew on board ,especially when you saw her at Timaru from the reservoir football ground ! My favourite ship I think

·
Registered
78 Posts
Port Napier 1960

I sighned on 15 September 1960, Antwerp, after refit as J.O.S. out to Aus. and N.Z. signing off 26 March 1961 I allso sailed on the "Townsville" befor the "Napier" I live on Guernsey, and we at presenrt get some 70 cruise ships in the summer, so it keeps me well up to date., and includind all the new ones.
What a surprise to read your entry as I was the S.O.S. on those dates on the Port Napier. I have often looked at the photos of you taken on the trip and wondered how you were. You may recall Jim Orritt and I "jumped" in Auckland but was returned to the ship in Opua three days later. I'd love to get in touch with you again.
Phil Hughes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was on the napier in sep 1964 great old afashion ship . had to carry meals to the poop in stacking trays. lovely big deck space

·
Registered
5 Posts
Port Napier Maori Bar

Hi Sandy, I have got about 15 photos of that trip 10 months 17 days, I'm looking at one now of all the deck crew having Xmas dinner in the decorated
maori bar you are sat next to Les May, London, and Eugean? Rutherford, liverpool. I will send you them if you get intouch by PM to exchange email addresses.
Best trip ever never stopped laughing all trip. take care ......Trevor ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on the napier in sep 1964 great old afashion ship . had to carry meals to the poop in stacking trays. lovely big deck space
I was in the Napier from Feb;49 until Jan 51.my cabin mate was Frank Vickery,
known as Vic as we were both Frank. The boatswain was Ned Kelly a more irascible guy would be hard to meet.Mind you we put up with him for six voyages H/T & Fgn; along with one of the finest seamen I ever sailed with Hughie McNiven.I have a newspaper cutting from a Wellington Paper from that time which states "Thought to have the most refrigeration space of any ship in the world, the Port Napier now at Wellington has 574,380 cubic feet of cold storage space for Britains rations".One could buy at the meat works a whole lamb for what it now costs for 2 chops.There was no stacking trays go-ing aft in those days as we had our own Crew Cook in the after galley and often ate better than the saloon.A great ship!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts