Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Another good trip.

Sailed on her a few times. Went on the first trip after she has sustained a huge gash in her bows at Panama. Spent the start of the trip in Wilton Feijenoord in Schiedam being repaired!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I saw the Port New Plymouth sail from KGV dock. Was 1978 the only time it left from Govan ...I'm sure it was before this.
Thanks S.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Welcome

A warm welcome to the site, Sandra. I hope you enjoy its facilities and will participate in the debates and banter.

Fred (Thumb)

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Welcome Sandra to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, most of us left the sea/ships years ago but our minds are still there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
anybody know frank smith, think he was bosun,last time I saw him was in Timaru n.z. he came from wakefield yorks.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I remember her at Napier on her maiden voyage,about 1961,a cadet used
to play the bugle every morning !!!(==D)

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
She was a common visitor to Glasgow throughout her long career, mainly to Plantation Quay then King George V Dock when the upriver berths closed.
That pic was taken in August 1978 which was her last visit to the Clyde. Pic on the Gallery of her depature.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I remember her at Napier on her maiden voyage,about 1961,a cadet used
to play the bugle every morning !!!(==D)
Greetings , On her maiden voyage she was under the command of Captain P H Pedrick, during the course of which she crossed from Brisbane to new Plymouth, to load 5000 ton of frozen product. There she was open to the public inspection, and was presented with the coat of arms of the city

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
A cadet played the bugle every morning? Sort of correct - the Master (Capt. Peter Pedrick) was the Port Line commodore at the time and was renowned throughout the fleet for his love of "breaking out flags" at 0800hrs to the sound of the bugle. The playing of the bugle was a recording over a loud speaker system!! I can remember being in Hobart on "Port Victor" together with "Port
New Plymouth" and "Port Vindex" - in such a small port, all three ships "broke out" their flags on cue from the "Port New Plymouth"!! You wouldn't see or hear the like today!

-----------
Mike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sailed on her a few times. Went on the first trip after she has sustained a huge gash in her bows at Panama. Spent the start of the trip in Wilton Feijenoord in Schiedam being repaired!
can anyone remember tommy jones d/mon port new plymouth
he dent a letter home in 1973 ,mary

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I went on board her in Napier on her maiden voyage. Nearly did a swap with the deck boys. at the time i was on Port Montreal during a years voyage

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another view from 1978 - this time in Timaru, New Zealand in June of that year.
This was the last visit of this fine ship to New Zealand.
I was Chief Officer that trip. Managed to get the old lady painted up properly by the time we sailed for Avonmouth. Under her bow is the Tongan KEMPHAAN. She sailed soon after and caught fire off Akaroa and some were lost in her

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was Chief Officer that trip. Managed to get the old lady painted up properly by the time we sailed for Avonmouth. Under her bow is the Tongan KEMPHAAN. She sailed soon after and caught fire off Akaroa and some were lost in her
I was just talking to Lee Jackman an AB that was on her that trip she was in Timaru and he can remember painting her before sailing deep sea , he now lives at Temuka which is just north of Timaru

1 - 20 of 32 Posts