Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Yes, she was very similar to Port New Plymouth - in effect Port Nicholson could be considered an enlarged version of that ship. At the time of her building in 1962 she was the largest refrigerated ship afloat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Joined this ship as a lowly deck boy straight from sea school in KGV Dock, London. At the time she was the Port Line Commodre's ship and I sailed on her from UK-Australia-NZ-UK from December 1967 to April 1968. Not a very happy ship for me I am afraid, only too glad to leave her on arrival back at Royal Docks, London. Have some photos of her during voyage but no scanner, sorry.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always sorry to hear when a ship is not a happy one for someone.I suppose the enthusiast always sees from the outside only,looks etc and never appreciates the real thing,operating and crew.I/m sure some of the best looking ships have been nightmares to work on!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
flyer682 said:
A couple more photos from 1979. Her last ever call to Timaru NZ in February/March of that year. She arrived direct from Mukalla and sailed onwards to Napier, Auckland, Cyprus, Piraeus, Malta and Avonmouth.
I sailed on her from April 1977 joined her at Sheerness, went down to Kiwi.
Timaru and Lyttleton Then Back up to Liverpool payed off June 1977.Good trip..

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Port Nicholson.

Ron -

Her trials photo off Arran on the Firth of Clyde - she was H&W, Belfast built.

I did her guarantee docking back in Belfast in the last quarter of 1963 - she was a fine vessel!

----------
Mike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good job....

Sailed on the Nicholson around 1978 and had my best trip at sea. Joined her in antwerp after we had been left in a hotel for 5 days on expenses with the normal result! Frank Butler paid out the expenses toa lot of shaky hands!

Sailed for St John, NB, with a cargo of tractors in november and ran into a force 10 in the Atlantic. Some of tractors broke free and we ended up with a good load of scrap!

Ended up in St John for a couple of months as we were loading spuds for Algeria and the wharfies wouldn't work as the temperature was too cold!

Great trip!

·
Registered
98 Posts
the port nicholson will always be my favourite as she was my first ship 1967 had some great times on her ...........john

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Details for Port Nicholson, built by Harland and Wolff Belfast, yard number 1646 launched 4th May 1962 delivered 9th November 1962 13847 gross tons for Port Line Ltd.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Joined this ship as a lowly deck boy straight from sea school in KGV Dock, London. At the time she was the Port Line Commodre's ship and I sailed on her from UK-Australia-NZ-UK from December 1967 to April 1968. Not a very happy ship for me I am afraid, only too glad to leave her on arrival back at Royal Docks, London. Have some photos of her during voyage but no scanner, sorry.
I was on her at that time your name rings a bell I joined as d.b the year before Was Frank Butler the bosun
Calum Macleod

·
Registered
370 Posts
i seem to remember Kevin Bugden (down-below) recalling fondly the Newfoundland trip several times when i 'sailed' with him several times later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sailed on the Nicholson around 1978 and had my best trip at sea. Joined her in antwerp after we had been left in a hotel for 5 days on expenses with the normal result! Frank Butler paid out the expenses toa lot of shaky hands!

Sailed for St John, NB, with a cargo of tractors in november and ran into a force 10 in the Atlantic. Some of tractors broke free and we ended up with a good load of scrap!

Ended up in St John for a couple of months as we were loading spuds for Algeria and the wharfies wouldn't work as the temperature was too cold!

Great trip!
came across this web site by chance how mad i was on that trip was only 17 did i get hammered in antwerp wasnt used to stella

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Rickie! Do you remember any of the crew? What were you doing yourself?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts