Ships Nostalgia banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Purple cloth signifying engineers is often erroneously thought to be an award for the bravery of engineers on the Titanic. However even if so, why would it have been purple? Apart from being the colour that senators edged their togas with in ancient Rome, why purple? Whats so special about purple?, and if it is so special then the deck officers would have had it first.
The distinguishing colours indicate that Officer's particular area of expertise. That's why Deck Officers don't have any.

Ouch! Who threw that???

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
In the Royal Navy a Chaplain would not wear gold lace and therefore he (or she nowadays) would not have any form of distinction cloth.

The Chaplain's dress uniform would just include epaulettes and aiguillettes but no lace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The distinguishing colours indicate that Officer's particular area of expertise. That's why Deck Officers don't have any.

Ouch! Who threw that???

Ouch! Who threw that???
The " myth" about Titanic is in fact true as purple is an official mourning colour, and was introduced as colour behind engineers braid for respect of engineers trapped and died in engine room of Titanic and also I believe many merchant ships lost during WW2.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
The " myth" about Titanic is in fact true as purple is an official mourning colour, and was introduced as colour behind engineers braid for respect of engineers trapped and died in engine room of Titanic and also I believe many merchant ships lost during WW2.
Oh no, not again.
Try reading the whole thread.
To make it clear - Purple distinction cloth had been in use for RN Engineering Officers for at least 50 years before the Titanic left Belfast, with Merchant Service adopting the idea within a short time after RN and long before 1912.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
In the Royal Navy a Chaplain would not wear gold lace and therefore he (or she nowadays) would not have any form of distinction cloth.

The Chaplain's dress uniform would just include epaulettes and aiguillettes but no lace.
Just seen that, another distinction for Reverend Gentlemen is that their Dinner Suits lack the silk stripe down the side of the trousers - apparently a hang back to mess dress - Revd. Richard Coles imparted that gem on Saturday Live about two years ago!!

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Just seen that, another distinction for Reverend Gentlemen is that their Dinner Suits lack the silk stripe down the side of the trousers - apparently a hang back to mess dress - Revd. Richard Coles imparted that gem on Saturday Live about two years ago!!
Does that mean that I was really in part mess dress when I thought I was in civvies? o_O

·
Registered
61 Posts
I always thought that the reason we had a uniform and braid so we felt really posh and then the company wouldn't have to pay us too much money.I believe during the war when naval officers addressed MN officers they addressed them as men of the merchant service and gentlemen of British India Co.This may also be one of those marine myths;but then again perhaps I'm a bit cynical in my old age.
Jim Garnett
Sorry JIm, It's:-
Officers of the Royal Navy, gentlemen of P&O and officers and gentlemen of the British India!. Don't be cynical.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts