Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my earliest shots using an old box camera. QUEEN MARY outward bound passing Cowes Isle of Wight during the summer of 1964.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Beatiful sight. I used to watch the four big liners ,Mary, Liz, France and United States, in the Solent when I did six months at Warsash in '67. The Mary was, in my eyes, the best looking of the lot, she had an elegance that few other ships have achieved.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I took "long distance" photo's of them all, unfortuately in days before I owned a telephoto lens. They don't enlarge too well, the Queen Mary was the better shot of them all and as you can see, detail just disappears.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Queen Mary drawn by John Gardner

copyright: Hempel A/S, Copenhagen 09/90

Particulars of this vessel are well known, she also conquered the Blue Riband in 1936 with 30.63 knots, in 1938 once more after losing it temporarily to the Normandie, and she held this prestigious trophee until 1952, mostly surpassing 31 knots.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you site members think it was right for the Richard Bransen craft to take the Blue Riband from the Untied States,there is no comparison to 52000t of ship,or the previous holder 73000t against a fast cat as far as i am concerned it should have stayed where it was until a ship of the same tonnage or there abouts came along,even a container ship

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
janbonde,

I sailed on gas turbine powered container ships which were more than capable of achieving Blue Riband times however, I agree with your sentiments and feel that the award should remain with the historical liners.

Whilst Richard Branson's "Virgin Atlantic Challenger II" completed a record crossing in June 1986, he was denied the Blue Riband by the trustees of the award since he had broken two rules of the competition. 1) VAC II had stopped to refuel and 2) she was not classed as a commercial vessel.

You can find an interesting update on the current Blue Riband status at http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/scandlines_cat_link_v.htm

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks for sharing this site with us Gulpers.
And Janbonde no way we are going to compare fast catemarans or the like with the grandeur of the old ladies.

Oil paintings of few more Blue Riband contenders will be placed under the Great Ocean Liners in due course.

·
Registered
842 Posts
What a good thread about a Grand old Lady and the Blue Riband, Richard Bransons` efforts with Challenger 11, noble though they may be , not in the same class in my book.
RMS Queen Mary was, and still is, THE most majestic liner I have had the privilege of being overtaken by in mid Atlantic, unfortunately I didnt own a camera so no photo, I was on Brocklebanks` ss"Matra" doing all of 14.5 knots UK to USA Gulf - circa 1960 checking lifeboat stores at the time, so had a grandstand view of her from horizon to horizon.

A sight I will always treasure

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I visited "The Queen Mary" in September this year at Long Beach, California, on the guided tour the "guide" told us that she was built in Sheffield ??????.
He was soon put right.
W. Dillon.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
02/02/06 poll in local rag bring the QM back to Southampton yes = 69%. no = 10% and only if economically viable 21%.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bob S said:
One of my earliest shots using an old box camera. QUEEN MARY outward bound passing Cowes Isle of Wight during the summer of 1964.
I have posted a picture of Queen Mary taken some 22 years earlier in not as grand as she looked in your picture. A friends father took this picture in Sydney harbour looking very tired but helping out carrying Aussie troops to war.

I find it interesting that in July of 1943 she took on 16683 troops from New York. It would be interesting to hear stories from some old diggers that sailed on her from Sydney stories which have been told to relatives.

My father in law sailed on Queen Elizabeth in 1941 from Sydney and at the same time Queen Mary was docked as well. He embarked with 5000 troops they where at anchor near Taronga Zoo and headed for the Suez canal.

These ships played a big part in history and it is hard to believe that they were converted at such short notice to carry so many troops.

Please go to the gallery to see the Queen Mary sorry if I posted her as Queen Mary 1 .

·
Banned
48 Posts
bob johnston said:
I have posted a picture of Queen Mary taken some 22 years earlier in not as grand as she looked in your picture. A friends father took this picture in Sydney harbour looking very tired but helping out carrying Aussie troops to war.

I find it interesting that in July of 1943 she took on 16683 troops from New York. It would be interesting to hear stories from some old diggers that sailed on her from Sydney stories which have been told to relatives.

My father in law sailed on Queen Elizabeth in 1941 from Sydney and at the same time Queen Mary was docked as well. He embarked with 5000 troops they where at anchor near Taronga Zoo and headed for the Suez canal.

These ships played a big part in history and it is hard to believe that they were converted at such short notice to carry so many troops.

Please go to the gallery to see the Queen Mary sorry if I posted her as Queen Mary 1 .
Bob J,

I have edited the photos so they now read Queen Mary and the 1 has gone - the downside is that where you had a duplicate (taken from the starboard bow) I deleted one and it has sadly taken away the thumbnail of it's twin image as well; sorry.

This does happen when the two photos are linked - sometimes linked on the PC they are downloaded from (i.e. yours) - Anyway if you post it afresh it would be best.

Kind regards
Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bob S,

I don't know if you have kept the original negatives from your box camera photo, but if you have you can often get a much better image that you can blow up from it than you could from a print. It is surprising how good the lenses were in those little cameras.

You would need a scanner that can handle negatives of the old 120 or 620 format size to do this.

Regards,

Brian

1 - 20 of 81 Posts