Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
their was a lot of debate and talk regarding the future of the Queen Mary's life boats in shipping circles on certain shipping forums of late - digging into the story - i found out that not all of the lifeboats on the mary at the time or most certainly after here arrival at Long Beach were not original to her - but now the process of crushing or ridding of her lifeboats has began - barring 2 they will keep for historical reference - their were no bidders from a auction to buy any of them apparently due to the toxic element in their paint ( the story is to long to narrate her ) images show the beginning of the end for the life boats - and so ends another chapter in the magnificence of a truly Greyhound of the seas
Font Number Event
Boat Water Sky Watercraft Naval architecture
Boat Sky Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft
Sky Vehicle Asphalt Motor vehicle Tree

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Q-M, was looking pretty scruffy, back in 2012, when we visited, But then I was looking where your "average" punter would not look, her Plating in region of the Stern, for example shows serious wastage at and about the waterline. I am surprised no one thought of "shrink wrapping" the boats, as they do with new craft often, if the issue was H&SE?. It would have likely allowed transportation into preservation. The biggest issue, of course, is America`s "Ambulance chasing" legal system of, Sue, Grabbit, and Run. Which sadly the UK is following.

Pete

·
Registered
131 Posts
as an 'old lady' the Queen Mary has done well! Many of the American GI's and service personnel in WWII have now reached their golden years, and who is alive to keep the memory going of her service on the Atlantic Crossings. WE may be a nation of past seafarers since Drake and Raleighs days? However can we keep each ship afloat literally besides in our minds. The lifeboats? Part of the Original Queen, now adrift not from a shipwreck, but a memory to those thousands who sailed ''ON'' HER, and those hundreds of Crew 'WHO SERVED ''IN'' HER!!!!
I am neither onboard or adrift, just IN and ON one of my pages of my story books Arthur Mees Childrens Encyclopedias, enjoying the memories and pictures of her launch from John Browns CLDEBANK.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think the generation of people who sailed served and crewed on board the mary - will always have a special place in their lives - for me - i was very privileged to spend a few days on board back in the early 90's - yes there were parts of her out of the public eye that were in a bad way - but the parts used for the hotel section were pretty well maintained - and having followed her story since her conception - i feel very privileged to have seen her ... the generation of " ship lovers " of the modern era - have no idea of the " feel "of a true greyhound of the seas - barring of course the qm2 - qe 2 and rotterdam - modern cruise ships are colder and lack the ambience of the golden age of travelling....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts